Associate Legal Counsel
Here at Playco, we make games that bring the world closer together through play.
Our ideal teammates are thoughtful, humble, and passionate professionals who can both zoom into the details and zoom out to embrace the big picture. We are inspired by makers and tinkerers, who are unafraid to experiment with a healthy disregard for constraints. We hope you'll enrich our team with your enthusiasm and passion, both for games and for life.
About this Role
We are seeking an Associate Legal Counsel to help us to scale the company. The Associate Legal Counsel will be part of Playco’s international operations team, reporting to the CEO and VP of Operations. The position is based in California, but remote candidates will be considered.
As an Associate Legal Counsel, you will draft, review and negotiate a wide range of commercial agreements such as acquisition, marketing, and service agreements, employment offers and license agreements in close coordination with our business team and external counsel. Additionally you will be the key point of contact for our outside counsel in the United States and Japan, where we have engaged multiple top-tier firms.
You will also provide expert advice with a focus on acquisition, interactive entertainment and consumer protection law as well as those related to publishing, marketing, IP and copyright and general civil matters. You will provide guidance and support on a variety of legal matters and day-to-day legal queries and conduct legal research.
- Qualified lawyer with at least two years of experience in an Associate Legal legal department at a related company or providing services to related companies at a corporate law firm.
- Practical experience in drafting, reviewing and negotiating a wide range of contracts.
- Professional knowledge with a focus on interactive entertainment and digital commerce laws, consumer protection laws, and particularly the legal frameworks that surround the M&A process.
- Ability to independently prioritize and manage a variety of tasks.
- Comfort working autonomously and making decisions based on broad directives.
- Enjoy working in a passionate and matrixed organization.
- Comfortable and adept at supporting a fast-paced, evolving business, balancing legal risk and thinking creatively to propel the business forward and enable smart decisions.
- Japanese language proficiency.
- Experience in the mobile game industry.
- Strong academic credentials.