Art Director Japan
Here at Playco, we make games that bring the world closer together through play.
Our ideal teammates are thoughtful, humble, and passionate professionals who can both zoom into the details and zoom out to embrace the big picture. We are inspired by makers and tinkerers, who are unafraid to experiment with a healthy disregard for constraints. We hope you'll enrich our team with your enthusiasm and passion, both for games and for life.
About this Role
We’re looking for an experienced Art Director to help lead the art team, guiding an extremely talented team of designers who are known for exceptional creativity. The ideal art director will bring a mix of artistic, marketing, and project management expertise to the position, promoting our company and that of our valued clients. You will be working with internal game artists and outsourcing studios to grow games from concept art to full production. We are looking for an experienced manager, who can inspire and be inspired by others to take our creative efforts to the next level. The ideal candidate will have a natural eye for design and a passion for delivering dynamic ideas that connect with any audience.
- Work with the entire creative team to establish a unified brand understanding and voice for the company, helming a creative audit to elevate our innovation.
- Conceptualize campaign vision, harnessing original graphics, copy, content websites, social media, and other marketing materials.
- Develop creative briefs based on ideas established in brainstorming sessions with direction, schedules, and expected deliverables for the creative team.
- Delegate projects to in-house designers and oversee storyboards.
- Obtain team approval by presenting final layouts, storyboards, and illustrations, encouraging members to provide feedback, and responding to internal commentary and requests.
- Present or oversee presentation of final concepts and coordinate production and dissemination for cross-organizational use.
- Oversee the art department by assisting with hiring, training, assigning, scheduling, and mentoring staff.
- Establish art department standards for production, productivity, quality, and client service.
- Ensure team adheres to current processes, identifying opportunities for continuous improvement, and proposing and creating processes and tools to support design operations.
- Collaborate with marketing and sales divisions in creating marketing plans, aligning team priorities with business objectives to deliver high-quality work on time and on budget.
- Develop presentation approaches, styles, and techniques for the team to implement.
- Analyze market trends, consumer need, and the competitive landscape, and track campaign performance.
- Bachelor’s degree in fine art, graphic design, or similar discipline.
- 8+ years as a professional graphic designer with 4+ years of experience in management role.
- Proficiency with design software, such as Adobe Creative Suite.
- Exceptional capability with typography, layout, and prototyping.
- Highly skilled with leading a team of creative talent.
- Strong creative vision with an understanding of business objectives.
- Prior experience as an art director.
- Have a solid knowledge of photography and video production.
- We are a growing distributed team that embraces remote work. You must be capable of working in a fast-paced environment and multiple time zones.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English and Japanese.
- Passion for mobile gaming.