Senior/Lead Environment Artist
We are looking for a talented and broadly-experienced Environment Artist to join our San Mateo studio. You will collaborate closely with our Art Director – as well as work with a cross-discipline team – to develop the environment art style for an original game IP.
The successful candidate will have a deep love for building 3D environments for our players to explore, and experience in leading a team to do the same.
- Own large portions of the game’s systems design, collaborating with the rest of the team to nail down systems and experiences.
- Pitch, design, prototype, implement, and iterate systems using a wide range of tools.
- Iterate on systems by running playtests, evaluating feedback, reviewing data, and proposing and implementing updates.
- Regularly facilitate discussions and brainstorming sessions on systems designs.
- Remain current on game industry trends including new games and game genres, emerging game design methods and techniques.
- 10+ years’ experience in professional game design.
- Strong sense of key components of a fun and compelling player experience for a game system.
- Deep experience and proficiency in designing and implementing progression and engagement systems in-engine.
- Experienced at using data and analytics to inform game and systems tuning.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Worked on at least one AAA online game and owned a significant portion of the systems design.
- Can create and iterate complex gameplay systems, and anticipate player impact and downstream effects.
- Passion for video games, with a relentless thirst for learning from playing them.
- Experience in social systems, meta-game systems, and/or monetization.
- Experience with Unreal Engine.
- Proficiency at scripting in game engines.
- Experience working on a multi-platform game.
Who we are:
Phoenix Labs is a multinational video game company with connection at its core. Dauntless, our flagship title, was the first-ever game to launch with full cross-play and cross-progression, and we’re already working on several new projects and ways to bring people together.
In our studios, the story is the same. Our teamwork, transparency, and optimism keep us focused on doing what matters, and we work hard to live up to our central promise that people are the ends, not the means.
Phoenix Labs is headquartered in Vancouver, BC, with studios in Montreal, Los Angeles, and San Mateo. We are backed by Garena, our long-time partner in Southeast Asia.