(Closed) Guides Editor (PC Gamer)
To write, commission and edit tips and guides content for PCGamer.com, and ensure the success of those articles through SEO research and maintenance. Based in our Bath office, you’ll play a key role in driving this important growth area of our website, working with the UK Editor-In-Chief and global PC Gamer team to produce fantastic guides to the biggest games for a massive online audience.
You’ll get to work with a world class editorial team, and develop your skills across important areas like SEO and commissioning contributors. We’ll help you develop as a writer and editor, and teach you how to use our social media channels to connect your work with our readers. You’ll ensure PC Gamer’s high editorial standards are maintained across all our guides, and keep ahead of our competitors when it comes to uncovering traffic opportunities around different games.
This role is ideally suited to someone with experience as a staff writer or section editor on a games website or magazine, with demonstrable experience of writing or managing guides content. We’d like a candidate who understands the true value of guides when they’re produced well—how we can help our readers answer their questions about the games they love, and help them get more from their interactive experiences.
Key role responsibilities:
- Writing guides content around PC games, from ongoing live games like Fortnite and The Division 2 to upcoming blockbusters like Jedi: Fallen Order or Borderlands 3.
- Commissioning additional guides with a bespoke monthly freelance budget, and developing a pool of reliable tips freelancers.
- Scheduling all content effectively to maximise potential performance.
- Optimising guides content for search, and maintaining Google rankings for those guides.
- Building an effective cross-linking strategy to enhance the performance of all guides.
- Working with our Audience Development team to find evergreen SEO guides terms for PC games that can produce great long-term results.
- Collaborating with other guides writers in Future’s games division to efficiently create tips content for multiplatform games.
Requirements of the role:
- Some after hours work required.
Essential skills and experience:
- 2-3 years of consistent experience as a freelance writer on a games website, or full-time experience as a writer in games media or a related field.
- A passion for one or more of the following games: Warframe, Destiny 2, Fortnite, Apex Legends, PUBG, GTA Online, Hearthstone, WOW.
- Demonstrable guides writing experience is important.
- Experience using online content management systems.
- A demonstrable passion for PC gaming and beating games.
- Strong organisational skills.
Desirable skills and experience:
- Basic video editing skills.
We are Future
Connectors. Creators. Experience Makers
We have big ambitions to transform media and change people’s lives. Together, we connect people to their passions through the high-quality content we create and the innovative technology we pioneer. It’s an incredibly exciting time to join!
Future is the name behind market-leading brands in specialist sectors across technology, gaming & entertainment, music, creative & photography, hobbies, knowledge and home interest.
Let’s do this!
To apply for this role, please submit your CV and a covering letter explaining why this is the job for you! Please include 4-5 writing samples of published work, including at least one example of a guide.