Sr. Gameplay Engineer
We’re a 28-person Google-owned experiential VR game company looking to grow our Owls (employees!) and would love a detail-oriented and self-motivated person to join us!
Owls in this remote position use a mix of technical, design, and artistic skills to explore, prototype, and develop polished and performant features and systems for games.
At Owlchemy Labs our Owls enjoy such benefits as actual work/life balance, personal growth, and learning opportunities. We also have some really cool company events that are indicative of our culture such as HappyOwler and Lego Build Parties!
- Prototype gameplay and systems, integrating stakeholder feedback and playtesting to continuously improving and iterating the work product
- Design and iterate on virtual spaces, understanding how layout of interactive areas and arrangement of props affect player experience in VR
- Provide design leadership and coach other owls in design and prototyping best practices
- Take ownership of projects and core features involving multi-discipline teams, including accurate estimates
- Be an approver of large systems or core features
- Provide high level direction on projects, features, or complex systems
- Write as needed to flesh out prototypes and features, including character development, brevity and humor, and functional accessibility
- Follow development processes and best practices
- Work with production to provide estimates and updates on progress and identify potential setbacks
- Collaborate with owls like QA, Art, Audio, Design, and Writing to meet task goals and determine code and art requirements
- Deep understanding of gamefeel, affordances, and feedback
- Ability to quickly turn ideas into reality, at minimum level of effort to evaluate them
- Ability to see dependencies, cascading affordances, and systems-level ramifications of features
- Ability to integrate feedback, throw ideas away, and be flexible with multiple iterations
- Have a holistic view of how their work fits into the bigger picture
- Capable of managing other Owls or Contractors
Required Education and Experience:
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
- 3-5 years Unity programming experience, or multiple shipped projects
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Developing games solo or near-solo
- History of experimentation with different tech / tools
- Rapid prototyping environment experience
- 5-7 years Unity programming experience with multiple shipped projects
- Appreciation of puns (or at least the ability to groan at them)
- Owls must be able to use virtual reality headsets but are not expected to own one.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
This is a remote full-time, 40-hours per week position. Core hours of work are Monday through Friday, 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
For Owls working outside of the Austin, TX area, travel to Austin may be required 4 to 6 times per year. Additionally, we typically encourage owls to attend a conference annually for personal growth and development.
We care about creating “VR for Everyone” - and that includes creating a welcoming workplace for everyone.
Owlchemy provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Other Skills and Responsibilities:
This job description doesn’t cover or contain a comprehensive listing of everything you might do at Owlchemy. As a small team of wildly talented individuals, we encourage career growth, exploration, and the wearing of many hats. As such, roles and responsibilities are collaborative and may change or evolve over time based on our needs and your particular skill set.
- 15 days of vacation to start
- Unlimited sick days
- School loan repayment assistance
- New parent benefits
- Health Care
- Retirement Plan
- Relocation Assistance (should you want to move to Austin, TX!)