Senior UI Artist
We’re a 22-person Google-owned experimental VR game company looking to grow our Owls (employees!) and would love a detail-oriented and self-motivated person to join us! Owls in this role create high-quality 2D production assets in and out of engine.
- Conceptualize and generate 2D art assets based on production direction, game design, and existing in-game assets.
- Create visuals for icons, emojis, interfaces, screens, book covers and layouts, and other 2D elements.
- Modify 2D assets for accessibility based on feedback from players.
- Follow best practices, development processes, and art standards.
- Assist in the implementation of in-progress and completed assets in engine.
- Export assets from art tools and import them into the engine according to best practices.
- Collaborate with Project Leads to ensure tasking is meeting milestones, including providing estimates, updates on progress, and notice of potential setbacks
- Solid graphic design background Has a deep understanding of psychological principles underlying layout, typeface, color theory, illustration, etc.
- Solid 2D art background Has the ability to create high quality 2D art assets in a variety of styles.
- Ability to match other art styles. Can adapt to new styles quickly.
- Experience with interactive media. Has worked on interactive experiences and understands the specific needs that interactive work requires.
- Experience working with a team that produces 3D content. Knows the limitations and caveats of 3D content.
Required Education And Experience
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
- Two years of related experience doing UI work
Preferred Education And Experience
- Experience with Unity or a similar game engine
- 5+ years working in interactive media, especially doing UI work
- Experience working in small teams
- A solid traditional art background
- Appreciation of puns (or at least the ability to groan at them)
- This is an office job, so be prepared for prolonged periods of sitting and working on a computer. However, all Owls are provided with various ergonomic options.
- Owls must be able to use virtual reality headsets but are not expected to own one.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time, 40-hours per week position. Core hours of work are Monday through Friday, 10 00 a.m. to 5 00 p.m. Although this position is anticipated to be “Work from Home” through the Fall of 2021, newly hired Owls will be required to establish Texas residency within 60 days of hire.
No travel is expected for this position; though we typically encourage owls to attend a conference annually for personal growth and development.
We care about creating “VR for Everyone” - and that includes creating a welcoming workplace for everyone.
Owlchemy provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Other Skills And Responsibilities
This job description doesn’t cover or contain a comprehensive listing of everything you might do at Owlchemy. As a small team of wildly talented individuals, we encourage career growth, exploration, and the wearing of many hats. As such, roles and responsibilities are collaborative and may change or evolve over time based on our needs and your particular skill set.
- Health Care Plan (Medical, Dental & Vision)
- Retirement Plan (401k, IRA)
- Life Insurance (Basic, Voluntary & AD&D)
- Paid Time Off (Vacation, Sick & Public Holidays)
- Family Leave (Maternity, Paternity)
- Relocation Assistance