Industrial Designer/Concept Artist
We’re a 28-person Google-owned experiential VR game company looking to grow our Owls (employees!) and would love a detail-oriented and self-motivated person to join us!
Owls in this remote position will visually design objects, characters, spaces, and other game elements, consulting with the creative team to realize product vision through art.
Please note: portfolios without stylized art won't be considered.
At Owlchemy Labs our Owls enjoy such benefits as actual work/life balance, personal growth, and learning opportunities. We also have some really cool company events that are indicative of our culture such as HappyOwler and Lego Build Parties!
- Apply Industrial Design best practices to the creation and concepting of interact-able objects and stations for games.
- Create stylized concepts in line with Owlchemy’s overall brand identity, adjusted as needed for individual IP
- Create concepts showcasing the design, functionality, and key characteristics of a given game element
- Be deeply familiar with the unique constraints of VR on object interactivity and player expectation and account for these in all concepts
- Incorporate architectural best practices into the design of game spaces, buildings, and landscapes
- Be able to balance keeping designed objects familiar and putting humorous, world-building twists on them
- Collaborate with project and art leadership to ensure concepts are growing and enriching the IP
- Be able to quickly sketch, repeatedly iterate, paintover, and throw things away
- Create concepts with the level of visual polish & details needed to communicate ideas to other owls (3D, VFX, SFX), which varies depending on task, needs, and time
- Manage project timelines, owned tasks, and effectively meet deadlines
- Keep up to date with the latest design trends and advancements in technology
- THIS IS **NOT** A JOB WHERE YOU WILL SPEND WEEKS CREATING HIGHLY DETAILED ILLUSTRATIVE KEY ART
- Ability to quickly learn and match art styles
- Familiarity with the game development pipeline
- A portfolio of work demonstrating strong artistic and storytelling ability
- Minimum of 2 years experience as a concept artist or graphic designer
- Excellent sketching abilities for rough conceptualization
- Proficient in a variety of digital 2D software programs such as Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.
- Ability to deliver high-quality artwork against tight deadlines.
- Excellent communication and interpretation abilities.
- Ability to collaborate and work as part of a team.
- Willingness to learn new software programs and tools.
- Highly organized and able to manage multiple projects simultaneously
Required Education and Experience:
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Two to five years experience relevant to the position
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in fine art or graphic design or equivalent experience
- Shipped products showcasing technical art abilities
- Appreciation of puns (or at least the ability to groan at them)
- Owls must be able to use virtual reality headsets but are not expected to own one.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
This is a remote full-time, 40-hours per week position. Core hours of work are Monday through Friday, 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m Central Time.
For Owls working outside of the Austin, TX area, travel to Austin may be required 4 to 6 times per year. Additionally, we typically encourage owls to attend a conference annually for personal growth and development.
We care about creating “VR for Everyone” - and that includes creating a welcoming workplace for everyone.
Owlchemy provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Other Skills and Responsibilities:
This job description doesn’t cover or contain a comprehensive listing of everything you might do at Owlchemy. As a small team of wildly talented individuals, we encourage career growth, exploration, and the wearing of many hats. As such, roles and responsibilities are collaborative and may change or evolve over time based on our needs and your particular skill set.