(Closed) Analyst, Toronto Ultra
OverActive Media (OAM) is an integrated global company delivering esports and video game entertainment. OAM combines team ownership with audience engagement to better connect with fans, franchise partners, and corporate sponsors around the world. OAM owns the Toronto Defiant franchise of the Overwatch League, a League of Legends European Championship series franchise, and recently won the rights to the Toronto Ultra franchise of the Call of Duty League – making it one of only three esports organisations in the world to own teams in the three biggest franchised leagues. OAM also recently fully acquired Rochester, NY’s Splyce Inc., which operates regional teams in various other esports, including Smite and Starcraft II. OAM is headquartered in Toronto, Canada.
Reporting to the Head Coach, Toronto Ultra and based in Toronto, Canada, the Analyst is an important part of the franchise’s staff team and owns all data-related aspects of the team’s in-game performance. The Analyst will identify, prepare, and present in-game insights to players and fellow coaching staff to support the franchise’s performance strategy execution. This role is a great opportunity for recent graduates or developing professionals in traditional industries who have a love for esports and want to bring their skills over to an exciting new industry.
We’re looking for:
- A Data-Driven Person – The successful candidate is expected to use collected data and information to guide the decision-making process for in-game strategies and performance planning.
- An Organisation Expert – This person will be responsible for ensuring all in-game data is organised and stored in a way that is easily accessible by the coaching staff and players as needed.
- An Esports Fan – Previous esports experience is not required, but a passion and genuine interest in learning about this industry is a must.
- Collect in-game data from team scrimmages, matches, in-house practices, and other events.
- Use gathered data to identify key messages and strategies within the current meta as well as shifts to new metas throughout the season. Prepare and present these strategies in readable materials to players and coaching staff.
- Compile footage and performance insights about opposing teams in team scrimmages, matches, and other events. Collaborate with other coaching staff and players in strategic planning of the matches.
- Scout up-and-coming talent in the Call of Duty esports community from the Challengers circuit and other avenues. Prepare and present player insights to coaching staff and the General Manager for potential roster changes or player signings.
- Review individual VOD footage for 1:1 player development as requested.
- Identify new tools, systems, resources, processes, and infrastructure improvement opportunities and propose improvements to the Head Coach and General Manager.
- Travel with COD team to match venues for on-site analytics support as needed.
- Develop personal Call of Duty industry knowledge and establish professional connections with other franchises in the league.
Qualifications and Critical Skills
- Strong ability to compile, organise and present data in a digestible, understandable format.
- Solid understanding of Microsoft Excel, Google Sheets, or similar programs. Previous experience working with databases or data analytics languages is a bonus.
- College Diploma or University Degree in Statistics, Computer Science, Management Information Systems, Economics, or a related field is considered an asset.
- Excellent organizational, time management, and communication skills (both written and verbal) with the flexibility and experience required to adjust to rapidly-changing schedules and shifting priorities.
- Ability to contribute to team cultures that foster respect and open communication for all members.
- Legal ability to travel internationally is required. Candidates currently located in the Greater Toronto Area are highly preferred.
- A passion for Call of Duty and the esports industry.
- Salary commensurate with experience.
- Extended Health Care Benefits.
- Top-tier vacation package.
- Occasional international travel opportunities.