(Closed) Head Esports Coach
Ottawa University, Kansas (NAIA) seeks a full-time Esports coach for an immediate opening. The position will be responsible for organizing all phases of recruiting, building and leading a new competitive, varsity Esports program on campus.
The program is expected to recruit students who can be successful competitively, academically and socially at Ottawa University
Responsible for the administration of a University athletic program including the recruitment of student athletes, team scheduling and programming, public relations, academic support, and the retention of student athletes.
Supervises assistant and student coaches. Extensive travel is required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Lead the recruiting process of prospective student athletes for a specific team. Assist them with required information for admission to the school.
Provide continuing conversations and contacts to prospective student / athletes. Guide them through the enrollment process.
Coordinate the process for signing each athlete's letter of intent once they commit to OU. Recruit student athletes that are a "good fit" with the University as well as to the athletic team.
Meet enrollment targets including the retention of student athletes.
- Work as a member of a recruitment team through support of the processes and goals of the admissions, financial aid, business and registrar's offices.
Streamline enrollment processes to provide an efficient and smooth transition for the prospective athlete. Provide for strong public relations both internally as well as to external constituencies.
- Provide leadership and direction to the athletic team as well as to the individual needs of the team members. Work toward team unity as well as the general unity of the College.
Initiate and follow a team program and schedule that is consistent, reasonable, and effective for the student athlete and the team.
Provide regular support and direction to student athletes. Make retention of student athletes a goal and priority.
- Collaboration with and support of other coaches and personnel within the athletic department. Provide consistent programs and goals across all OU athletic teams.
- Develop the specific sport's team budget and manage expenses during the year to assure that they remain within approved funding levels.
Additionally, adhere to KCAC and NAIA regulations and guidelines.
- Provide a strong academic emphasis and support of academics through your leadership and activities of the athletic team.
Be mindful of the contribution the student-athletes make to the College community including academic performance and participation in and contribution to non-athletic activities.
- Responsible for management and operations of the baseball facilities. Provides maintenance to the facility assuring they are mowed, trimmed, free of trash, and present a positive image to the University grounds.
Works in conjunction with the Director of Facility and Plant Operations as needed in scheduling the use of equipment and maintenance for the facility.
- Fulfills commitments to all additional duties as assigned by the athletic director which may include game day management, administrative and / or teaching responsibilities.
- Manage your staff consistent with University personnel policies. Encourage collaboration among the staff, provide regular evaluation and feedback, and facilitate developmental opportunities.
Oversee assistant coaches as they work with prospective student athletes as well as current student athletes.
- Understand the University's policies and procedures and exercise judgment accordingly. Assure that University and student information is handled in a confidential and ethical manner.
- Provide leadership to those with whom you work through your conduct, attitude, and professionalism. Represent the University to students, external groups, faculty and staff in a way that reflects well on the University including a clear and visible commitment to the Champions of Character Program.
Support, embrace, and mentor the Christian principles of the University as well as be committed to the educational mission of the University.
Education : Bachelor's Degree in a related field required. Master's Degree preferred.
Experience Qualified candidates must have significant and successful coaching experience, preferably at the collegiate level with head coaching experience highly preferred.
Requires a person with a strong commitment to academic and athletic excellence, and a dedication to instilling the Champions of Character values into their coaching style and expectations of players.
At least one year of competitive Esports experience involving multiplayer online video games with team-based elements and expert knowledge of League of Legends or similar game is required.
Experience coaching or playing in a collegiate Esports program is highly preferred. Successful candidates must demonstrate the skills and aptitude for successfully recruiting and building a program, as well as possess knowledge of additional collegiate Esports titles such as Overwatch etc.
Required Skills and Abilities :
- Effective communication skills.
- Ability to think critically and provide options for sound solutions.
- Ability to manage complex tasks and individuals.
A completed employment application is required for each position you wish to apply. Candidates should attach a cover letter, resume, and the names of three professional references as a part of this application for employment.
Ottawa University celebrates and prizes the diversity of its students, faculty, staff and Board of Trustees. In keeping with its Mission Statement, the University is called to actively foster an environment of awareness, appreciation, and intentional inclusivity.
We are particularly interested in receiving applications from members of underrepresented groups and strongly encourage them to apply.
Ottawa University is committed to equal employment opportunity and does not unlawfully discriminate in recruitment or employment on the basis of race, age, sex, color, religion, disability, national origin, sexual orientation, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law.