Senior Concept Artist
Odyssey Interactive is a Canadian Game Development studio formed around the mantra of building "Games you Live". We believe that the best games are the ones you think about long after you put them down, that help you feel like you're a part of something bigger than yourself, and that you believe you can invest in for years to come.
We're on a mission to build games with the same emotional potential as the games we fell in love with growing up, but designing them with a mobile first mindset. We believe the next generation of gamers is going to be the most connected, the most diverse, and the most relentlessly driven generation this world has ever seen - and for them phones aren't just a tool, they're an extension of their body. We believe they deserve the same quality of games that we fell in love with so many years ago.
The founding team is comprised of 4 former leads from Riot Games where we led teams such as a the League of Legends Balance Team, the League of Legends Champion Design team, and the development of Teamfight Tactics - and are excited to try to build a highly innovative, player focused studio with an awesome team...a team that you could be a part of!
Wouldn’t it be awesome getting to help create an entirely new IP from scratch? Exploring art styles from around the world and adding your own unique twist to really make them pop? Creating concepts for characters that turn into fan art or even cosplay in the future? We sure think so! We’re looking for a concept artist who can play a huge part in defining the artistic style for our current and future titles. Sound like a fun challenge? Awesome! We’ve got more detail below to help you understand what the role entails:
- Sketch, brainstorm, and iterate on on new characters, worlds, animations, and VFX within our new stylized IP alongside our Art, Design, and Product team
- Utilize your knowledge of various media forms and existing IPs to create innovative concepts for characters, ones that stand out from other games
- Brainstorm and ideate on emotional pillars for each character that you then pull through into concepts that create distinct personalities for each character
- Assist our Art Lead in the creation and maintenance of our style guide
- Contribute design ideas for our first prototypes, everyone on our team will help shape the games we build as a studio
- 3+ years experience as a professional artist in the video game or entertainment industry
- Understanding of colours and value structure relating to characters, worlds, and VFX
- Experience creating designs that are inspired by historical, present, or pop culture references
- Experience in stylized IP
- Shipped titles, and cross platform experience is a plus, but not a requirement.
- Teamwork and other Qualifications:
- Effective working autonomously, we want you to feel comfortable allocating your time wisely and making good on your commitments
- Strong analytical skills that aid in understanding and articulating what makes games great
- Solid team player. We want people who are excited to be part of a small, tight-knit team focused on delivering awesome experiences to players
- Genuine ambition and excitement to rise to the challenges
- A passion and love for games
- Willing to relocate to Ontario, Canada
- Dental/Vision/Pharmacare coverage. Canada has universal health care, so you're covered on that front
- Open paid-time-off policy with 2 week minimum enforced by the company. We trust you to take time off when you need it
- Competitive salaries that value your experience and dedication
- Stock options in an early stage startup. We want you to be motivated to stick with us for the long haul
- Annual game stipend. We can all learn so much from new games coming out
- Relocation assistance, and immigration where applicable.