(Closed) Senior Technical Artist
Obsidian Entertainment is looking for an experienced, proficient, communicative, and collaborative Senior Technical Artist to assist our growing team of RPG developers with world building, tools, pipeline, and performance on an unannounced project.
This position requires a solid understanding of the current concerns, performance monitoring tools, and pipelines for open world development in Unreal Engine 4 on PCs and consoles.The Senior Technical Artist will collaborate with the Art Director, team leads, programmers, and production artists.
- Proactively seek out inefficiencies and problems in art and world building pipelines and identify and drive solutions
- Optimization ownership: hardware instancing, LOD creation and manipulation, distance culling, HLOD creation, etc.
- Establish processes and best practices to ensure assets are set up, exported, and integrated into the game properly
- Establish systems and processes that enable many developers to collaborate efficiently on large content (e.g., world areas)
- Support programmers and designers in researching and developing new game features
- Provide transparency and build relationships with stakeholders across disciplines and teams
- Identify technical art priorities and work with the Art Director to meet project needs
- Validate art content against technical and performance guidelines prior to in-game integration
- Mentor other artists, both technical and non-technical, regarding best practices
- A good understanding of modern game development with a keen artistic eye
- Functional knowledge of efficient and performant open world creation
- 4+ years of open world development in the game industry with 1 shipped title as a Technical or Senior Technical Artist
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to effectively balance the needs of game design, art, and programming
- Values learning and frequently engages in opportunities to grow
- Experience developing with Unreal Engine 4
- Experience using 3ds Max, Maya, or Houdini
- Strong interest in learning and gaining proficiency with the Houdini pipeline
- Experience with other game engines, like Frostbite, Unity, etc.
- Be able to work comfortably with common scripting languages (MAXScript, MEL script, Python, etc.)
- A web portfolio that demonstrates visual quality with performance in game environments
- Samples, demonstrations, or documentation of tools pipelines developed to overcome past challenges