Obsidian is looking for an enthusiastic Narrative Designer to join our growing team of RPG developers.
The Narrative Designer should have excellent communication and organization skills, the ability to negotiate with peers in a goal-oriented way, and the ability to balance the Narrative Lead's goals with the needs of the Area Design team and the expectations of the game's intended audience. The Narrative Designer is ultimately an advocate for the audience's best experience and continuously works toward that goal.
This position requires the ability to work onsite or in a hybrid capacity at the Obsidian Entertainment office in Irvine, CA.
- Work with the Narrative Lead, Content Design Director, and Area Designers to develop dialogue and supplemental writing for the game's characters and quests
- Help maintain the consistency and integrity of the intellectual property in the game's writing
- Provide peer review for writing by other teammates
- Work with the Audio Director, Narrative Lead, external voice directors, and voice actors to provide guidance during recording sessions
- 2+ years of professional game writing experience
- Experience working as a writer on at least one shipped game
- Working knowledge of RPG conventions
- Experience writing branching dialogue
- Experience working with scripting languages
- Experience writing dialog for voiced characters in at least one shipped game
- Experience with in-studio voice recording sessions
- Familiarity with the Unreal Engine
- Please attach three fiction writing samples that are representative of your range and skill as a writer
- Samples may include game writing, short stories, novel excerpts, screenplays/script excerpts, graphic novel excerpts, or video links to cutscenes/dialogue sequences you have written
Obsidian Entertainment is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Please, no phone calls or drop-ins. We only accept electronic applications.