(Closed) Manager, Site Reliability Engineer
We are now looking for a Manager, Site Reliability Engineer (SRE):Site Reliability Engineering is an engineering discipline to design, build and maintain large scale production systems with high efficiency and availability using the combination of software and systems engineering practices. This is a highly specialized field which demand knowledge across different systems, networking, coding, database, capacity management, continuous delivery and deployment.
NVIDIA is looking for a Manager, Site Reliability Engineer (SRE) to lead its GeForce Now (GFN) team. SRE at NVIDIA ensures that our internal and external facing GPU cloud gaming services have reliability and uptime as promised to the users and at the same time enabling developers to make changes to the existing system through careful preparation and planning while keeping an eye on capacity, latency and performance. SRE is also an attitude and a set of engineering approaches to running better production systems and optimizations. Much of our software development focuses on eliminating manual work through automation, performance tuning and growing efficiency of production systems. As SREs are responsible for the big picture of how our systems relate to each other, we use a breadth of tools and approaches to tackle a broad spectrum of problems. Practices such as limiting time spent on reactive operational work, blameless postmortems and proactive identification of potential outages factor into iterative improvement that is key to both product quality and interesting and dynamic day-to-day work.
This is a great opportunity to lead a team of talented engineers with proven site reliability (SRE) standard methodologies and create an industry enviable production engineering team. We partner with Service Owners to drive reliability of the service. The GFN Service is an exciting service in the newly growing game streaming industry. This is a rare opportunity to work on multi-OSes, multi-cloud platforms, and proprietary hardware with NVIDIA GPUs.
What You Will Be Doing
- Manage our global cloud and on-premises data platform services
- Manage and participate in 24x7 on-call support schedules.
- Manage incident response and perform root cause analysis investigations.
- Mentor and participate in career planning for your team.
- Be responsible for chartering new technologies while helping to mentor and guide SRE engineers.
- Engage in and improve the whole lifecycle of services—from inception and design, through deployment, operation and refinement.
- Support services before they go live through activities such as system design consulting, developing software platforms and frameworks, capacity management and launch reviews.
- Maintain services once they are live by measuring and monitoring availability, latency and overall system health.
- Scale systems sustainably through mechanisms like automation, and evolve systems by pushing for changes that improve reliability and velocity.
- Practice balanced incident response and blameless postmortems.
- Lead significant production improvement around tooling, automation, and process improvements.
What We Need To See
- Master’s degree or PhD in Computer Science/Engineering or equivalent technical leadership experience.
- 5+ years experience leading SRE teams owning end-to-end availability and performance of mission critical services in a live-site production environment.
- Technical leadership beyond development that includes scoping, requirements capturing, leading and influencing multiple teams of engineers on broad development initiatives.
- Lead significant production improvements including change management, post-mortem reviews, workflow processes, design and deliver software automation in various languages (Python, bash, Perl) and technologies (CI/CD, auto-remediation, alert correlation).
- Experience managing an engineering team on projects with technical deep-dives into code, networking, operating systems and/or storage
- Project management skills consistent with leading a team through the complex development to production transition phase
- Strong communication skills (written and oral)
Ways To Stand Out From The Crowd
- Previous experience with Zabbix and PagerDuty alerting or similar monitoring systems. Development, support, and scripting against these systems is helpful
- Jenkins (or similar CI/CD) setup, configuration, deployment is a requirement
- Excellent scripting: Python, Perl, bash, windows scripts (VBS/PowerShell)
- Experience with Kibana, Grafana, Elastic Search, and Watchers is a plus
- Excellent communication, presentation, social, and analytical skills; the ability to communicate complex interaction concepts clearly and persuasively across different audiences and varying levels of the organization.
- Experience with Stack Storm, Prometheus, and Kubernetes and similar are bonuses.
- Prior experience as an SRE leadership role or similar is a huge plus.
NVIDIA is widely considered to be one of the technology world’s most desirable employers. We have some of the most forward-thinking and hardworking people in the world working for us. If you're creative and autonomous, we want to hear from you