VP, Consumer Marketing
The worldwide pioneer in the creation of interactive entertainment, Nintendo Co., Ltd., of Kyoto, Japan, manufactures and markets hardware and software for its Nintendo Switch™ system and the Nintendo 3DS™ family of portable systems. Since 1983, when it launched the Nintendo Entertainment System™, Nintendo has sold more than 4.7 billion video games and more than 740 million hardware units globally, including Nintendo Switch and the Nintendo 3DS family of systems, as well as the Game Boy™, Game Boy Advance, Nintendo DS™ family of systems, Super NES™, Nintendo 64™, Nintendo GameCube™, Wii™ and Wii U™ systems. It has also created industry icons that have become well-known, household names, such as Mario, Donkey Kong, Metroid, Zelda and Pokémon. A wholly owned subsidiary, Nintendo of America Inc., based in Redmond, Wash., serves as headquarters for Nintendo’s operations in the Americas.
This role can be based in Redwood City, CA or Redmond, WA.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
- Develops, recommends and implements cohesive and innovative marketing plans and strategies for Nintendo of America (NOA) hardware systems, software products, digital services, accessories, and mobile games.
- Leads cross-functional Consumer Marketing organization spanning Marketing Strategy and Campaign Planning, Advertising and Media, Marketing Partnerships, Content Lab creative services, and Consumer and Trade Events.
- Leads the creation of inspiring stories to convey the magic of Nintendo games and systems, and to put smiles on the faces of millions of consumers
- Leads marketing strategy and campaign plan development, collaborating with cross-functional departments, and Executive Management, to drive holistic marketing plans and execution across the US and Canada
- Develops brand and product positioning for the NOA region
- Defines audience strategy for hardware, software, and digital products and services
- Develops short and long-term Marketing objectives, strategies, and plans, inclusive of advertising, promotions, partnerships, media, and content marketing
- Oversees and inspires all NOA consumer advertising and video content (game trailers, announcement videos, episodic content, and commercial content) across traditional, digital, and social media.
- Approves annual and campaign-specific media planning and buying, including large-scale media deals (TV/video/digital Upfront); monitors investments, and evaluates return on investments.
- Oversees internal Content Lab creative services, external brand and media agencies, and internal and external creative production
- Oversees Consumer and Trade event strategy, development, and execution – from consumer sampling events and promotions to major industry events.
- Approves advertising, media, and consumer promotions agencies; including contracts, staffing, and compensation terms
- Oversees product placement, branded integration, and other entertainment marketing efforts
- Collaborates with Digital Marketing leader for customer journey and customer lifecycle/CRM marketing
- Monitors overall marketing campaign performance including reviewing all elements of each campaign, analyzing results, developing and testing hypotheses, and preparing formal launch review documents
- Serves as primary Consumer Marketing liaison with NOA Product Review and Software Planning teams in planning and deciding hardware, software, and digital product roadmap
- Interacts frequently with Nintendo Co. Limited (NCL-Japan) headquarters, and Nintendo of Europe (NOE) counterparts, in aligning global marketing strategies and execution
- Supports SVP, Sales & Marketing Division, in oversight of all marketing, compensation, and operating expenses budgets, in collaboration with Finance department
- Develops business cases for strategic marketing investments and new opportunities
- Oversees the hiring and development of all Consumer Marketing employees
- Establishes team priorities, develops work processes and procedures, and monitors work volume and staffing levels
- May build important internal and external contacts
- Significant travel may be required
SUMMARY OF REQUIREMENTS
- 15-20+ years of related business, marketing, brand, and advertising experience
- Minimum five years of experience leading a mid to large-size marketing function
- Inspiring creative storyteller with a strong track-record of developing breakthrough marketing communications
- Strong background in consumer goods, entertainment media, consumer technology, or other related marketing
- Broad marketing skill set
- Strong negotiation and influencing skills
- Deep knowledge of advertising agencies, creative development, and content production
- Knowledge of media planning, buying, and executive-level media negotiations
- Ability to establish and maintain relationships with brand and business partners
- Knowledge of consumer research techniques
- Undergraduate degree in Business, Marketing, Advertising, Communications, a related field, or equivalent
- MBA recommended
We are an equal opportunity employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans....valuing diversity…celebrating strengths.