Environment Artist (Retro Studios)
Founded in 1998, Retro Studios is a wholly owned subsidiary of Nintendo Company, Ltd. Retro is a state-of-the-art game development studio, working in conjunction with Nintendo to bring award-winning games to Nintendo's cutting-edge next-generation platforms. Retro Studios is located in beautiful Austin, Texas. With rolling hills, scenic waterways, abundant wildlife, vibrant music and film scenes, and a laid-back cosmopolitan culture, Austin is a dynamic city with an excellent quality of life. Austin's sunny weather also supports a great range of outdoor activities, providing plenty of venues for top-notch game developers to recharge and unwind.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
- Consistently creates strong environment assets that demonstrate a solid understanding of the style, direction, and high-quality standards for each project
- Creates environment scenes, demonstrating examples of strong composition and layout skills while considering hardware and design limitations and overall art vision of the project
- Crafts incomplete ideas or verbal direction into polished environments
- Encourages visual storytelling that strengthens the presentation of environmental spaces and assets through:
- Highly detailed sculpting
- Composition and world-building
- Models at high quality and at technical standards
- Takes ownership of environmental assets and scene layout while encouraging collaboration across multiple disciplines to achieve high quality, innovative environment art
- Collaborates with the other Environment Artists as well as members of other disciplines (Concept Art, Design, etc.)
*This job description outlines primary duties and requirements and is not intended to identify all tasks that may be performed; individuals occupying the position may be required to perform other duties. The company may modify job duties from time to time, either in practice or in writing.
SUMMARY OF REQUIREMENTS
- Ideally three years' experience in Environment asset/environment construction (Retro will consider artists with more experience/less experience depending on their portfolio)
- Prior knowledge and experience crafting 3D environment assets and scenes demonstrating:
- Good sense of form, volume, structure, and silhouette
- Familiarity with current modeling and texture workflows
- Strong understanding of physically based rendering (PBR) pipelines
- Strong understanding of composition and balance
- Solid understanding of efficient low poly mesh techniques
- Understanding of texel density, memory limitations, etc.
- Strong visual and spatial storytelling skills
- Experience with high poly sculpting and modeling software such as Z-Brush & Maya
- Experience with Substance Designer and Substance Painter
- Experience with world editors and level construction software
- Experience with optimization and troubleshooting environments
We are an equal opportunity employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans...valuing diversity…celebrating strengths.