Application Engineer, Associate
The worldwide pioneer in the creation of interactive entertainment, Nintendo Co., Ltd., of Kyoto, Japan, manufactures and markets hardware and software for its Nintendo Switch™ system and the Nintendo 3DS™ family of portable systems. Since 1983, when it launched the Nintendo Entertainment System™, Nintendo has sold billions of video games and hundreds of millions of hardware units globally, including Nintendo Switch and the Nintendo 3DS family of systems, as well as the Game Boy™, Game Boy Advance, Nintendo DS™ family of systems, Super NES™, Nintendo 64™, Nintendo GameCube™, Wii™, and Wii U™ systems. It has also created industry icons that have become well-known, household names, such as Mario, Donkey Kong, Metroid, Zelda and Pokémon. A wholly owned subsidiary, Nintendo of America Inc., based in Redmond, Wash., serves as headquarters for Nintendo’s operations in the Americas.
Nintendo is an equal opportunity employer. We offer a welcoming and inclusive environment in service to one another, our products, the diverse consumers we represent, and the communities we call home. We do all of this with kindness, empathy and respect for each other.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
Works with other senior engineers and developers to act as a bridge between application development teams and infrastructure environments and teams with a focus on building systems that will meet operational goals. Completes assigned tasks as directed by senior team members and management, to assist in the delivery of projects intended to make the business’ software and infrastructure development and delivery lifecycle more efficient and productive.
JOB DUTIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS (What):
- Engages with development teams and other infrastructure groups as needed to complete directives assigned by team leadership. May attend standups and other meetings for other teams with, or independently from, team leadership.
- Discover Service Level Indicators, define Service Level Objectives, measure and reduce Toil, and monitor and instrument platforms to measure scalability, reliability and efficiency.
- Submit software fixes for deficiencies within area of expertise or operational responsibility.
- Implements infrastructure, infrastructure-as-code, and writes scripts, all to specifications provided by leadership; whether to implement new solutions, support existing solutions, or integrate any combination thereof
- Executes test plans, participates in product quality reviews, and assists with operational issues
- Assists in the monitoring and maintenance of continuous integration, automated deployment, and configuration management of internally or externally developed applications
- Designs and implements test cases inside of provided frameworks to ensure the continued integrity and quality of products and solutions
- Implement monitoring of application health and Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) for new and existing products using tools such as Nagios or Zenoss
- Participate in peer review process to ensure that solutions adhere to established standards and practices
- Participates in 24x7 on call cycle to support and troubleshoot products and solutions in multiple environments.
SUMMARY OF REQUIREMENTS
- Typically requires a minimum of 1-2 years of related experience in software development and/or system engineering technologies, patterns and practices
- Associate of Science degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Information Technology, Information Systems, Industrial Engineering, or related field; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Functional understanding of basic scripting and computer science fundamentals; Basic proficiency in one or more programming languages (such as Python, Java, Ruby, C#, C/C++, etc.) extremely helpful. Experience debugging scripts and programs also extremely helpful.
- Some experience in the setup, configuration, maintenance, and upgrading of one or more server operating system families (Linux, Windows, BSD, etc.)
- Some experience with installing and configuring servers, network equipment, storage, and workstations in a multi-user environment
- Basic understanding of network protocols (TCP/IP, SSL, etc) and some experience in the troubleshooting of network problems