(Closed) Software Engineering Manager, Server Infrastructure
Niantic’s Engineering Team is seeking an Engineering Manager to lead the Server Infrastructure team that supports the hosted AR/Geo platform underpinning projects such as Pokémon GO, Ingress, and Harry Potter: Wizards Unite, and future titles built on this platform. You will lead a team of engineers to design and implement infrastructure solutions that host hundreds of millions of events per day as well as encapsulating those technologies behind easily understood, well-organized APIs to enable development of planet-scale AR experiences. We value managers who are respectful, empathetic, and who embrace the values of servant leadership and a diverse and inclusive workforce.
- You will mentor and grow each individual, give timely feedback, support their careers, as well as communicate long-term product and technical vision with the team.
- You will lead engineering design discussions, review and break down feature requirements, and actively participate in design and code reviews.
- You will collaborate with other specialists, product managers, engineering teams, and other departments to ensure design and implementation meet internal standards.
- You will implement platform and infrastructure components, perform load testing, and conduct troubleshooting to ensure uptime for live systems.
- Bachelor or above in Computer Science or a similar major.
- 5+ years of experience building reliable and scalable infrastructures.
- 1+ years of experience mentoring other engineers or leading a project with more than 1 engineer.
- Proficiency in compiled languages such as Java, Go and C++.
- Familiarity with Kubernetes, infrastructure as code (such as Terraform), and cloud platforms such as Google Cloud, Azure or AWS.
- Experience monitoring and troubleshooting production systems.
- You have managed teams with 3+ engineers.
- You are familiar with one or more open source projects, such as Redis, Prometheus, Grafana, Jaeger, ElasticSearch, Kibana, Envoy and Istio.
Join the Niantic team!
Niantic is the world’s leading AR technology company, sparking creative and engaging journeys in the real world. Our products inspire outdoor exploration, exercise, and meaningful social interaction.
Originally formed at Google in 2011, we became an independent company in 2015 with a strong group of investors including Nintendo, The Pokémon Company, and Alsop Louie Partners. Our current consumer titles include pioneering global-control game Ingress, record-breaking AR game Pokémon GO, and Pikmin Bloom. In November 2021, we launched our developer platform, Lightship, enabling creators to build immersive AR experiences around the globe.
Niantic is an Equal Opportunity employer. We believe that cultivating a workplace where our people are supported and included is essential to creating great products our community will love. Our mission emphasizes seeking and hiring diverse voices, including those who are traditionally underrepresented in the technology industry, and we consider this to be one of the most important values we hold close.
We're a hard-working, fun, and exciting group who value intellectual curiosity and a passion for problem-solving! We have growing offices located in San Francisco, Sunnyvale, Bellevue, Los Angeles, New York, London, Tokyo, Hamburg, and Zurich.