Niantic’s mission is to use emerging technology to enrich our experiences as human beings in the physical world. We build products that inspire movement, exploration, and face-to-face social interaction.
Niantic is seeking a Software Engineer - Server to build the server infrastructure that supports projects such as Pokémon GO, Pikmin Bloom and Ingress. You will work on real-time indexing, querying and aggregation problems at massive scales of hundreds of millions of events per day. These technical challenges pertain to a single, coherent world-wide instance shared by millions of users.
We seek engineers with strong technical background, great execution, and self-starter mentality. The ideal candidate loves to jump into the unknown, clarify ambiguities, quickly learn from failures, and break down vague ideas into concrete tasks.
- Build and design reliable, high-throughput, low latency and scalable server and networking systems that support Niantic’s developers and products.
- Build key components of the platform that developers can incorporate to create rich experiences in their games.
- Perform load testing, participate in code reviews, write unit tests, and conduct troubleshooting to ensure uptime for live systems.
- Collaborate with other specialists, product managers, and other departments to ensure code meets internal standards.
- BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science, or a related technical field.
- Minimum of 2+ years of experience building reliable scalable platforms, 5+ years for senior level candidates.
- Proficiency in one of the following languages: Java, Go or C++ with working knowledge of Python, SQL.
- Experience building networked and distributed systems.
- Experience building concurrent and multi-threaded services.
- Delivered solutions to production environments, and provided tools to monitor, support and mitigate any issues.
- Experience with deployment on hosting providers, such as Google Cloud, Azure or AWS.
- Experience with building ETL pipelines or crafting data-related ingestion APIs.
- Familiarity with one or more open source projects, such as Redis, Prometheus, Grafana, ElasticSearch and Envoy.
- Familiarity with Kubernetes, infrastructure as code (such as Terraform)
- Experience mentoring junior engineers or leading projects.
Join the Niantic team!
Niantic is the world’s leading AR technology company, sparking creative and engaging journeys in the real world. Our products inspire outdoor exploration, exercise, and meaningful social interaction.
Originally formed at Google in 2011, we became an independent company in 2015 with a strong group of investors including Nintendo, The Pokémon Company, and Alsop Louie Partners. Our current consumer titles include pioneering global-control game Ingress, record-breaking AR game Pokémon GO, and Pikmin Bloom. In November 2021, we launched our developer platform, Lightship, enabling creators to build immersive AR experiences around the globe.
Niantic is an Equal Opportunity employer. We believe that cultivating a workplace where our people are supported and included is essential to creating great products our community will love. Our mission emphasizes seeking and hiring diverse voices, including those who are traditionally underrepresented in the technology industry, and we consider this to be one of the most important values we hold close.
We're a hard-working, fun, and exciting group who value intellectual curiosity and a passion for problem-solving! We have growing offices located in San Francisco, Sunnyvale, Bellevue, Los Angeles, New York, London, Tokyo, Hamburg, and Zurich.