Software Engineer, Mobile Native
Niantic is seeking a Software Engineer - Mobile Native to build mobile, real-time, AR tech for iOS and/or Android. There are several openings for skilled C++ mobile developers to design and build new features for AR gaming for Niantic’s Lightship client SDK. Your work will advance Niantic’s client platform to the next generation of AR and wearable devices. It will also enable game developers to create engaging AR apps for a user base in the billions.
We seek engineers with strong technical background, great execution, and self-starter mentality. The ideal candidate loves to jump into the unknown, clarify ambiguities, quickly learn from failures, and break down vague ideas into concrete tasks.
- Design and implement cross-compiled Android/iOS native code in C++.
- Create robust and highly performant networking, cryptography, and graphics subsystems across all of Niantic’s products.
- Collaborate with other engineers, product managers, QA, and other departments to ensure code and technology meets internal standards.
- Perform load testing, participate in code reviews, write unit tests, and conduct troubleshooting to ensure uptime for live systems.
- Design and implement game object synchronization, AR platform features in C++.
- BS or equivalent in Computer Science, or a related technical field.
- 2+ years of experience, 5+ years for Senior level candidates with experience in developing in C++ on mobile, embedded or console devices.
- Advanced knowledge of C/C++ and C# programming languages
- Experience optimizing C++ code for low compute and low memory environments.
- Multi-Threaded concurrent development.
- Experience with deployment on hosting providers, such as Google Cloud, Azure or AWS.
- Experience working on API for game engines such as Unity3D or Unreal.
- Experience working with ZeroMQ or message passing/stream based logic frameworks.
- Experience building native plugins in Unity or other game engines.
- Experience designing & building projects independently, especially AR/VR games.
Join the Niantic team!
Niantic is the world’s leading AR technology company, sparking creative and engaging journeys in the real world. Our products inspire outdoor exploration, exercise, and meaningful social interaction.
Originally formed at Google in 2011, we became an independent company in 2015 with a strong group of investors including Nintendo, The Pokémon Company, and Alsop Louie Partners. Our current consumer titles include pioneering global-control game Ingress, record-breaking AR game Pokémon GO, and Pikmin Bloom. In November 2021, we launched our developer platform, Lightship, enabling creators to build immersive AR experiences around the globe.
Niantic is an Equal Opportunity employer. We believe that cultivating a workplace where our people are supported and included is essential to creating great products our community will love. Our mission emphasizes seeking and hiring diverse voices, including those who are traditionally underrepresented in the technology industry, and we consider this to be one of the most important values we hold close.
We're a hard-working, fun, and exciting group who value intellectual curiosity and a passion for problem-solving! We have growing offices located in San Francisco, Sunnyvale, Bellevue, Los Angeles, New York, London, Tokyo, Hamburg, and Zurich.