(Closed) Game Design Manager, Pokémon GO
Niantic Labs, creator of Ingress and Pokémon GO, is seeking an experienced Game Design Manager to manage our game design team and the creative process from concept design to launch. We’re a fast-moving, multi-disciplinary team of software developers and creative professionals based in San Francisco, Seattle and Tokyo. You will be the people manager for a team of game designers that build compelling gameplay experiences for Pokémon GO, helping merge the virtual with the real world and inspiring people to explore the world, together.
- Partner with the Game Design Lead and collaborate with other Art and Design leadership as well as build consensus with cross-functional leaders across Product and Engineering.
- Provide leadership and be the strongest advocate for the game design team.
- Mentor, develop and support team members, in terms of their work and career progression.
- Set strategy, priorities and resource allocation decisions that help achieve product goals while maintaining design systems, mechanics and content as well as brand integrity.
- Create and manage team schedules and insure proper workflow throughout the game design department.
- Anticipate and recognize potential production issues and recommend appropriate solutions.
- Foster Niantic’s culture and principles within the group, while setting new standards in executional and operational excellence.
- Minimum 5 years experience managing teams plus 5-7 years as a senior or lead game designer.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and develop the well being of a growing team of game designers in a dynamically changing production environment.
- Project management experience in PC, console, mobile game development or live services.
- Experience working on feature development from end to end.
- Strong understanding of game development, design systems and game balance.
- Excellent communication, presentation, interpersonal and analytical skills; the ability to communicate clearly and persuasively across different audiences and varying levels of the organization.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Expertise with project tracking software.
- Experience running experiments, editing game master templates and related admin tools.
- Excellent problem solving and troubleshooting skills.
- Demonstrated success in creating a collaborative culture of Design, Product and Engineering.
- Experience working with geographically distributed teams.
- Background in engineering, user experience or data analytics.
- Passion for games, AR and location based experiences.
- Familiarity with Pokémon GO and the general Pokémon franchise.
Join the Niantic team!
Niantic is the world’s leading AR technology company, sparking creative and engaging journeys in the real world. Our products inspire outdoor exploration, exercise, and meaningful social interaction.
Originally formed at Google in 2011, we became an independent company in 2015 with a strong group of investors including Nintendo, The Pokémon Company, and Alsop Louie Partners. Our current consumer titles include pioneering global-control game Ingress, record-breaking AR game Pokémon GO, and Pikmin Bloom. In November 2021, we launched our developer platform, Lightship, enabling creators to build immersive AR experiences around the globe.
Niantic is an Equal Opportunity employer. We believe that cultivating a workplace where our people are supported and included is essential to creating great products our community will love. Our mission emphasizes seeking and hiring diverse voices, including those who are traditionally underrepresented in the technology industry, and we consider this to be one of the most important values we hold close.
We're a hard-working, fun, and exciting group who value intellectual curiosity and a passion for problem-solving! We have growing offices located in San Francisco, Sunnyvale, Bellevue, Los Angeles, New York, London, Tokyo, Hamburg, and Zurich.