Sr. Legal Counsel
Nexon, a world leader in online games, is building a workplace based on mutual respect, good humor, and the pursuit of excellence because we believe that great games can only be built by amazing people. Our vision is to create high quality, innovative online games that create unforgettable experiences for players around the world.
Nexon America is a leader in online gaming and award-winning publisher of renowned MMORPGs MapleStory, Mabinogi and Vindictus, which have gone on to break records and captivate players, and the company was recognized as a Great Place to Work-Certified™ company in February 2021. With new projects on the horizon, Nexon America maintains the pioneering and innovative spirit of its parent company, Nexon, employing its player-first approach, while designing the best possible gameplay experiences for the western market.
The Senior Legal Counsel is the primary resource for negotiating and drafting game development and publishing agreements, licenses, and service agreements, conducting complex contracts negotiations, and otherwise supporting a broad range of transactional, litigation, and regulatory matters.
- Manage a wide variety of projects requiring legal expertise, including drafting and reviewing corporate documents and contracts, reviewing and revising policies to achieve legal compliance, and advising on legal disputes relating to contractual obligations
- Work closely with Executive Team (including General Counsel) to identify areas of legal risk and mitigate those risks to the best of the attorney’s ability
- Advise company officers, managers and employees of legal requirements pertaining to operations including changes in laws and regulations, which may impact the company
- Assure corporate compliance with a wide variety of federal and state laws and regulations
- Provide education and training to personnel on matters of legal relevance
- Conduct privileged investigations as assigned by General Counsel
- Perform other day-to-day business and legal affairs-related tasks as needed
Knowledge & Skills needed
- Excellent analytical, drafting and negotiating skills, with an ability to draft a wide variety of agreements without oversight
- Ability to advise on a range of compliance issues, regulations and industry standards with a focus on privacy, data security, consumer protection, advertising, employment and intellectual property
- Ability to navigate and understand complex legal principles and issues
- Ability to manage and oversee others in their drafting and negotiating on company’s behalf
- Ability to effectively manage outside counsel with regard to litigation, privacy and transactional projects
- Ability to identify areas of legal risk within the company, and experience with addressing those risks
- Be polished and poised in communicating with executives, internal clients, outside counsel and external partners
- Ability to tailor communications to the audience
- Comfort in interacting with Senior Management Team and line level staff
- Superior organizational and time management skills
- Ability to handle multiple assignments simultaneously with demonstrated ability to set priorities, work under pressure to meet time deadlines, and work independently without constant supervision
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word and Excel required)
- Good business judgment, sense of urgency, be detail-oriented, and a problem solver
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, changing environment
- Passion for video games and a more-than-passing familiarity with the industry desired
- 8+ years of legal experience (prior in-house experience extremely helpful)
- Experience with complex commercial transactions (particularly licensing)
- Intellectual property, data protection/privacy (e.g. GDPR, COPPA), litigation and product counseling experience
- Working knowledge of video game industry ( Preferred )
- Experience with game, media & entertainment and/or technology industry extremely helpful
Education and Professional Training
- Outstanding academic credentials
- JD required
- Active California bar license required or ability to become registered in-house counsel within the first six months of employment
Nexon’s benefits and perks:
We offer medical, dental and vision plans for you, your spouse or domestic partner and your children. Employees who enroll in the high deductible health plan receive an annual employer contribution to a health savings account and company paid hospital indemnity benefits. We also provide company paid life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability benefits as well as access to voluntary life and AD&D for yourself and your dependents, flexible spending accounts, a 401(k) savings plan with a company match, and pet insurance. Nexies are encouraged to take advantage of our monthly wellness credit, participate in lunchtime yoga, and enroll in language classes. We host bi-monthly catered lunches, monthly happy hours, and maintain a well-stocked snack bar. To help you maintain a good work life balance, we offer paid time off, sick days, company holidays, and a year-end break.
Nexon is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.