(Closed) Design Director
A career at NWI is about being part of a team working on some of the most creative FPS shooters in the world. You would be welcomed to a friendly, inclusive environment where you can learn, and collaborate with some of the most talented people in the industry.
As Design Director at New World Interactive, you will translate the creative vision for our next AAA title into a variety of systems and mechanics that combine to create an engaging experience for players to enjoy. You provide your team with the general guidelines to design their specific gameplay features and allow them the flexibility to experiment and iterate.
While your designers focus on their areas of ownership, you pay attention to the larger picture, overseeing the game’s overall outcome: progression, pace, balance, and quality. You ensure that all elements related to design work together cohesively to fit the intended experience and make it fun.
- Work with the creative director and other core team members to define the game and unify your visions.
- Develop your game design direction/priorities and communicate it across the production floor.
- Support your game designers in developing their features (e.g. gameplay rules, progression systems, weapon attributes, artificial intelligence behaviors, etc.) and provide mentorship and constructive feedback to achieve quality.
- Establish and ensure a high-quality bar for all documentation pertinent to core design principles for new features, systems.
- Maintains the high-level vision of the project as a whole without getting tied up in any singular domain of the project; should be able to default to trust on the micro, but maintain the macro vision for the product.
- Assess design needs and make recruitment recommendations accordingly for growing and expanding the department.
- Organized workflow; capable of weighing opportunities vs. capabilities and being able to balance these goals against business objectives.
- A highly innovative, empathetic, creative, and collaborative spirit
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, presentation, problem-solving, organizational, and mentorship skills.
- Strong technical writing skills ability to sift through data and come to meaningful conclusions.
- Leadership-mindset; open to reading assignments and extra-curricular activities focused on leadership and team development
- Work with product owners, developers, and QA management to define and identify requirements, anticipate risks, and plan testing coverage for upcoming and existing features.
- Critical thinking, curiosity, resourcefulness, and plenty of flexibility.
- Shipped at least 4 games, with at least 1 being of a AAA caliber capacity.
- Managed a team of at least 12 designers with various functions (level design, gameplay, economy, progression).
- Familiarity with live-operations design and games as a live service as opposed to games as a premium product.
Additional qualifications that will move you up in the stack-ranking for considerations are:
- Familiarity with Diagrams.io and the ability to communicate information visually.
- Experience with Confluence, Jira, Experience with Unreal Engine, Unreal Editor, and Blueprints.
- Project management training.
- Experience working on online first-person shooters.
- Experience working on multiplayer co-op games.
- Strong understanding of how to build gameplay systems around AI.