WarnerMedia showcases some of the most iconic and cherished entertainment, news and sports brands in the world, but we are much more than that. WarnerMedia is truly where art meets science. Our combination of cutting-edge technology and an unrivaled commitment to groundbreaking storytelling builds a sense of community and meaningful connection that is shaping the future of media. We create rewarding opportunities across our entire family of brands, while championing a spirit of inclusion, innovation, self-development and support. Join WarnerMedia as we think big, live true and make the stories that move the world.
The creative team that brought Mortal Kombat and Injustice to life is now NetherRealm Studios, part of the Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment family. With over 20 years of creation under our belts, NetherRealm’s mission remains the same: to create cutting edge entertainment and deliver industry leading tech, game art and overall gaming experiences. NetherRealm Studios is a collaborative and creative environment, constantly striving to up the ante on what is possible in interactive entertainment. Our team is comprised of dedicated professionals with years of experience who are at the forefront of the gaming industry. The passion and energy that made Mortal Kombat a reality is still on display every day in our offices, our hallways and most definitely the studio’s arcade room.
The Senior Combat Designer will be responsible for significant contributions to game design, with a focus on combat, moment-to-moment gameplay, and character implementation. Alongside Lead and fellow Designers, the Senior Combat Designer is expected to implement and maintain combat-centric systems, game balance, and character tuning.
- Establishes design schedules and creates working design documents.
- Designs and scripts game experiences, including implementation of characters and their navigation, combat movesets, and in-game particle effects.
- Works closely with Animation Department to generate mocap shot lists and help direct mocap performances.
- Creates AI behavior specs.
- Play and evaluate combat constantly over the course of the project, iterating and re-doing work to reach a high degree of polish.
- Analyze and incorporates user feedback from consumer usability tests.
- Works with personnel on R&D efforts for new game systems and creates playable prototypes as required.
- 6+ years game design experience required.
- Shipped at least 2 titles with a strong emphasis in combat design and implementation
- Direct experience in implementing navigation and/or combat mechanics (with a preference on melee based combat) on at least 2 shipped titles
- Strong programming or scripting knowledge and experience required
- B.A. degree preferred or equivalent job experience.
- Ability to work well under pressure and with deadlines.
The Nice to Haves
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
- Strong interest in computer and video games.
- Passion for action and fighting games with a focus on combat mechanics.
- Exclusive WarnerMedia events and advance screenings
- Paid time off every year to volunteer for eligible employees
- Access to well-being tools, resources, and freebies
- Access to in-house learning and development resources
- Part of the WarnerMedia family of powerhouse brands
WarnerMedia embraces the opportunity to build a workforce that reflects the diversity of our society and the world around us. Being an equal opportunity employer means that we take seriously our responsibility to consider qualified candidates on the basis of merit, without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or any other category protected by law.If you’re a qualified candidate with a disability and you need a reasonable accommodation in order to apply for this position, please contact us at [email protected]