For over 30 years, Naughty Dog has been crafting best-selling, critically acclaimed games that constantly push the boundaries of narrative, gameplay, and technology. Our most recent game, The Last of Us Part II, has received over 300 Game of the Year awards and three of our games are among the top 10 highest scored games on the PlayStation 4. As a part of the Naughty Dog legacy, you’ll become a part of continuing the development of extraordinary and enduring experiences for a broad, global range of audiences.
We're looking for an experienced Voice Over Director who has a proven track record of excellence in directing compelling performances. The ideal candidate possesses a strong cinematic aesthetic, and also a deep understanding of complex video game dialogue systems for both player and NPCs, and a passion for narrative under the umbrella of systemic player feedback.
You will become an embedded member of the Dialogue Team. As such, a strong & clear communication style is required as collaboration is an essential feature to making games at Naughty Dog. You will be collaborating with fellow dialogue team members, writers, & designers, but you will report to the Dialogue Lead & Audio Director for all tasks. A key component of this role is having an appetite for learning and understanding that in ADR, we work as a team and share the room with our colleagues.
While we appreciate those applicants with a strong writing background, writing is not a part of the responsibility set for this role. We encourage you to check back for writing/narrative positions when available.
- Directing voice over talent for all non-narrative dialogue systems including
- Systemic dialogue lines
- Efforts/Exertions & breathing
- Work effectively and efficiently to deliver the highest quality of voice performances
- Actively pursue knowledge of the technical history of our dialogue system
- Work seamlessly within our dialogue editorial production pipeline
- Integrate and tightly collaborate with senior members of the Dialogue Dept. on creative and technical goals
- Create a trusting, collaborative, and relaxed environment at the ADR stage with all team members and engineering staff
- Following the current guidelines and processes for dialogue production with a constant eye towards quality and improvement
Requirements & Skills:
- 5+ years experience as a voice director with at least 3 shipped AAA credits
- Deep understanding that it takes a team to make games
- Strong understanding of timing, pacing, and flow
- Able to identify creative and technical issues as they happen and intelligently communicate them out to the engineer
- Expert knowledge of how dialogue systems piece together
- Receptive to team feedback both in the control room and at Naughty Dog
- Be personable, and collaborative
- Patient and agile when under pressure
- Willingness to unpack system concepts mid-session to increase session efficiency
- Advocate for vocal stress management; the health of our talent is paramount
- Exceptional organization and documentation skills; Able to work with large amounts of assets, provide clear naming convention and detailed tracking
- Deep understanding of digital recording workflows, asset tracking, and room acoustics
- Directing VO for interactive sports games
- Experience with linear/interactive narratives
- Experience with audio design/editing
- Knowledge of DAWs and/or digital audio theory and workflows
- As a part of the Naughty Dog application process, candidates will be expected to provide a portfolio or demo reel of their work and may be asked to complete a test