Monetization / Economy Designer (Multiplayer)
For over 30 years, Naughty Dog has been crafting best-selling, critically acclaimed games that constantly push the boundaries of narrative, gameplay, and technology. Our most recent game, The Last of Us Part II, has received over 300 Game of the Year awards and three of our games are among the top 10 highest scored games on the PlayStation 4. As a part of the Naughty Dog legacy, you’ll be part of continuing the development of extraordinary and enduring experiences for a broad, global range of audiences.
Embark on Naughty Dog’s newest adventure – the studio’s first standalone multiplayer game! We’re seeking to bring the same level of ambition and quality of our signature, story-driven games to this unique multiplayer project, so we are looking for an experienced, creative, and collaborative Monetization Designer to help us build an incredible, player-friendly economy. This position will have the opportunity to be highly innovative and make their mark by developing a best-in-class economy system from the ground up.
The role will focus on in-game initiatives to increase revenue and conversion while maintaining a strong player-first value system. This role will work closely with the Communications, Marketing, and Analytics teams, among others, to uncover insights from granular player data while working with Design and Development to find the best monetization solutions and implement them.
- Design sustainable monetization systems in line with the game’s vision, collaborating with key stakeholders to ensure these systems are integrated into the core gameplay features
- Promote a holistic monetization strategy with the goal of improving retention, increasing in-game revenue and lifetime value, while respecting the player experience
- Coordinate with the Design and Art teams to develop a strategic and opportunistic plan for the creation of in-game items and driving regular updates to the in-game store
- Collaborate across the broader development team to maintain the game economy for the life of the game
- Stay up to date and provide competitive analysis on current and emerging monetization trends, taking a primary role in raising the overall knowledge level in the design team for monetization best practices
- Collaborate with in- and out-of-house Analytics teams to collect and analyze economic, engagement, and monetization data; build reports on performance, then suggest and implement new strategies and optimize existing offerings
- Develop taxonomy, guidelines, and best practices for monetization for others to follow based on studio and game values, ethical and legal standards, and industry best practices
- Collaborate with operational teams to maximize post-launch/live campaign and content efforts
- Analyze gameplay mechanics to identify opportunities that will have a positive impact on monetization
- Create game economy simulations and evaluate their performance & their impact on player experience
Requirements & Skills:
- 2+ years experience in game monetization or working on economy systems for a live service game, with at least one shipped title
- Bonus: You have worked on building monetization systems from the ground up before
- Experience designing, documenting, and executing itemization, investment, or any other fundamental RPG game system at any scale
- Ability to model your in-game economy in a software package of your choice and present it to a broad set of team members and stakeholders
- Thorough knowledge of video games and game economies with deep insight into non-destructive game monetization
- Ability to work in highly collaborative, interdisciplinary, iterative environment, while delivering under deadlines and time constraints
- Knowledge of how player progression systems and economy systems interact
- Understanding of player psychology
- Understanding of narrative tone
- Interest in playtesting, getting feedback, and giving feedback
- Degree in Economics, Finance, or Statistics
- Experience with Tableau, SQL, and analytics in general
- Scripting or programming experience
- Gameplay systems design experience
As part of the Naughty Dog application process, candidates should expect to complete a design test.