At Naughty Dog, Lighting TDs play a crucial part in ensuring the Lighting team has the tools and tech that it needs to work as efficiently as possible. That may mean writing new tools, establishing standards and workflows, debugging issues, or diving in on a complicated lighting setup – whatever it takes to help the team work as smoothly as possible!
- Create tools to streamline artist workflows (example: asset management tools, pipeline automation scripts)
- Work with the engineering team to develop low-level tools infrastructure and lighting pipelines
- Ensure tool interfaces are user-friendly and effective
- Create well-architected systems that can be built upon for years to come
- Develop workflows and standards for efficient lighting work, including optimization standards
- Support the lighting team in debugging issues with tools or assets
- Work between all art departments (environment, characters, VFX, animation, etc.) on shared technology
- Create lighting setups that require high technical skill or specialist knowledge (set piece moments, special effects, etc.)
- Additional responsibilities are available if you have the passion and experience!
REQUIREMENTS & SKILLS:
- Strong experience with Python, PyQT/PySide, and with Maya scripting
- Ability to write robust code, both from a functional and architectural standpoint
- Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to work with minimal supervision
- Familiarity with content creation and game development pipelines
- Good oral and written skills
- A strong aesthetic eye for lighting work, and hands-on experience with lighting pipelines.
- 3+ years of production experience in VFX or video games
- Experience in C# or C++
- Experience with OpenMaya and Maya plugin development
- Experience with HLSL or GLSL shader programming
- Experience with other lighting and post processing software, as a user or tools developer; Houdini, Nuke, Fusion, Flame, etc.
As part of the Naughty Dog application process, candidates should expect to be given a technical interview and may be asked to complete an art test.