Level / Environment Designer (Multiplayer)
For over 30 years, Naughty Dog has been crafting best-selling, critically acclaimed games that constantly push the boundaries of narrative, gameplay, and technology. Our most recent game, The Last of Us Part II, has received over 300 Game of the Year awards and three of our games are among the top 10 highest scored games on the PlayStation 4. As a part of the Naughty Dog legacy, you’ll become a part of continuing the development of extraordinary and enduring experiences for a broad, global range of audiences.
Embark on Naughty Dog’s newest adventure – the studio’s first standalone multiplayer game! We’re seeking to bring the same level of ambition and quality of our signature, story-driven games to this unique multiplayer project. This is a rare opportunity to make an impact in your discipline and craft an experience that will be enjoyed and shared by millions of players around the world.
Our level design process is based around giving the designer the maximum amount of control and flexibility over the design of the space: rather than assembling prefabs, our level designers model directly in 3D. If you're someone who can create realistic spaces with strong identity and compelling gameplay, we would love to talk to you!
- Plan and model simplified geometry environmental layouts, place game objects, and script level progression
- Develop plans for map updates and evolutions
- Coordinate extensive play-testing, reviews, and iteration
- Collaborate with artists, programmers, animators and other game designers to craft the vision of your spaces
- Act as producer for spaces you design as well as other parts of the game, facilitating communication across disciplines, clearing dependencies, and ensuring deadlines are met
- Design and champion gameplay systems, conventions, and scenarios
- Additional responsibilities may be assigned as needed
REQUIREMENTS & SKILLS:
- Eye for art composition, architectural concepts, and an ability to create evocative shapes
- Good working knowledge of Maya, 3DS Max, or similar 3D package
- Proficient and effective communication skills
- Welcomes criticism and collaborates well as part of a diverse team, innovating without losing sight of the gameplay vision
- Understanding of the multiplayer gaming landscape
- Preferred: 3+ years designing levels for multiplayer games
As part of the Naughty Dog application process, candidates should expect to complete a design test.