For over 30 years, Naughty Dog has been crafting best-selling, critically acclaimed games that constantly push the boundaries of narrative, gameplay, and technology. Our most recent game, The Last of Us Part II, has received over 300 Game of the Year awards and three of our games are among the top 10 highest scored games on the PlayStation 4. As a part of the Naughty Dog legacy, you’ll become a part of continuing the development of extraordinary and enduring experiences for a broad, global range of audiences.
From the earliest days of “Jak & Daxter” to “The Last of Us Part II” and beyond, audio has been, and remains, a cornerstone of our game development. The audio programmer primarily works with the Sound, Dialogue, and Music teams to develop technologies, tools, and pipelines; they also collaborate with artists and engineers in other departments. The goal is to create first-rate game audio experiences that elevate storytelling in games to new levels. The ideal candidate is an excellent general programmer with strong 3D math skills who is passionately dedicated to the world of audio.
- Work closely with the Audio Director, Leads and sound designers to design, prototype, and implement new audio features
- Work closely with the other audio programmers to implement runtime audio systems and features as well as related workflows
- Partner with design, engineering, and audio team members to implement and improve audio tools that meet the project’s needs
- Actively contribute to cross-team audio tools and runtime development to help push the limits of what is possible in game audio
- Author documentation and communicate best practices and technical constraints of the audio systems and tools to engineering and content creation team members
- Adhere to team coding standards and best practices
- Tackle additional general programming tasks as needed
Requirements & Skills:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or equivalent work experience
- Minimum 5+ years professional programming experience
- Strong math skills with a demonstrable emphasis on 3D math
- Strong C / C++ design and coding experience in a multithreaded codebase
- Commitment to code quality, documentation, and testing procedures
- Highly attentive to detail
- Strong debugging skills
- Knowledge of audio-specific terminology and technology
- Passion for game audio and tools development with a client-centric attitude
- Knowledge of audio signal processing - mixing, sample rates, data compression, filters, reverbs, 3D positional audio, etc.
- Strong communication skills, both spoken and written
- Able and motivated to work with other team members
- Enthusiasm and initiative
- Passion for playing and developing exceptional games
- Experience with audio middleware solutions such as Wwise, FMOD, etc.
- Experience with DSP and 3D audio programming
- Experience with audio filter design, FFT, sound synthesis and effects
- Familiarity with Python
- Familiarity with Lisp / Racket / Scheme
- Familiarity with C#
- Music and/or Sound design experience - composing/arranging, sound design, synthesis, sampling, MIDI sequencing, audio engineering/mixing, digital audio workstations, etc.
- Knowledge of acoustics
- Knowledge of music theory
- Experience programming on multiple game platforms
- Experience with audio hardware
- Experience with multiplayer games
As part of the Naughty Dog application process, candidates should expect to be given a technical interview.