This position is for a temporary engagement through our staffing partner DZConnex.
Candidates must be authorized to work in the United States for this position.
Embark on Naughty Dog’s newest adventure – the studio’s first standalone multiplayer game! We’re seeking to bring the same level of ambition and quality of our signature, story-driven games to this unique multiplayer project. This is a rare opportunity to make an impact in your discipline and craft an experience that will be enjoyed and shared by millions of players around the world.
Our level design process is based around giving the designer the maximum amount of control and flexibility over the design of the space: rather than assembling prefabs, our level designers model directly in 3D. If you're someone who can create realistic spaces with strong identity and compelling gameplay, we would love to talk to you!
- With guidance of a mentor or lead, plan and model simplified geometry environmental layouts, place game objects, and script level progression
- Develop plans for map updates and evolutions
- Coordinate extensive play-testing, reviews, and iteration
- Collaborate with artists, programmers, animators and other game designers to craft the vision of your spaces
- Facilitate communication across disciplines, clearing dependencies, and ensuring deadlines are met
- Help to design and champion gameplay systems, conventions, and scenarios
- Additional responsibilities may be assigned as needed
REQUIREMENTS & SKILLS:
- Eye for art composition, architectural concepts, and an ability to create evocative shapes
- Experience modeling blockmesh/whitebox environments in Maya, 3DS Max, or similar 3D package
- Excitement for learning and growing as a designer. Able to quickly develop new skills and take on new information and viewpoints.
- Proficient and effective communication skills
- Welcomes criticism and collaborates well as part of a diverse team, innovating without losing sight of the gameplay vision
- Understanding of the multiplayer gaming landscape
- Preferred: 1+ years designing levels for multiplayer games
- Experience with game scripting and/or programming
- Experience modeling, texturing, and lighting game environments
- Experience animating 3d characters or environments
- Understanding of narrative concepts and/or experience in writing, film, or theater
As part of the Naughty Dog application process, candidates should expect to complete a design test.