Associate Character Shading TD
This position is for a temporary engagement through our staffing partner DZConnex.
Candidates must be authorized to work in the United States for this position.
For over 30 years, Naughty Dog has been crafting best-selling, critically acclaimed games that constantly push the boundaries of narrative, gameplay, and technology. Our most recent game, The Last of Us Part II, has received over 300 Game of the Year awards and three of our games are among the top 10 highest scored games on the PlayStation 4. As a part of the Naughty Dog legacy, you’ll become a part of continuing the development of extraordinary and enduring experiences for a broad, global range of audiences.
A Character Shading TD helps to advance the rendering of Naughty Dog’s characters. In this role you’ll write shading and rendering code, paint textures, tune materials, and work with the artists and programmers – whatever it takes to push the beauty and realism of our characters to new levels!
- Develop the look of skin, fabric, hair, eyes, leather, metal, blood, grime, and anything else that can appear on a character
- Write well-architected shading and rendering code that can be built upon for years to come
- Use a range of techniques. Write code, paint textures, and procedurally generate source data
- Work closely with artists and the engineering team to develop more advanced rendering techniques, and to improve content creation tools
- Additional responsibilities may be assigned as needed
Requirements & Skills:
- Strong experience with HLSL or GLSL shading languages
- Ability to write robust code, both from a functional and architectural standpoint
- Knowledge of character shading, lighting, and material response, and of real-time rendering technology as a whole
- Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to work with minimal supervision
- Good oral and written skills
- Experience with C++
- Experience in Maya/Python programming
- Experience with real-time game engines (Unreal, Unity, in-house engines, etc.)
- Experience with ZBrush, Substance Designer, and/or Substance Painter
As part of the Naughty Dog application process, candidates should expect to be given a technical interview and may be asked to complete an art test.