At Naughty Dog, Animation TDs play a crucial part in ensuring the Animation Team has the tools and tech that it needs. That may mean writing new tools, establishing standards and workflows, debugging issues, or creating highly-technical assets – whatever it takes to help the team work as smoothly as possible!
- Create tools to streamline artist workflows (example: asset management tools, pipeline automation scripts, integration with project management software)
- Create tools to give artists more power (example: motion capture data processing , animation retargeting tools, physics sim pipeline, tools leveraging machine learning)
- Work with the engineering team to develop low-level tools infrastructure and asset pipelines
- Ensure tool interfaces are user-friendly and effective
- Create well-architected systems that can be built upon for years to come
- Develop workflows and standards for efficient content generation, including optimization standards
- Help to maintain a wide array of existing workflows and tools
- Test and validate tools and techniques in production
- Work between all art departments (characters, VFX, sound, environment, etc.) on shared technology
- Additional tech-art-related responsibilities are available if you have the passion and experience!
REQUIREMENTS & SKILLS:
- Strong experience with Python, PyQT/PySide, and with Maya scripting
- Ability to write robust code, both from a functional and architectural standpoint
- Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to work with minimal supervision
- Familiarity with content creation and game development pipelines
- Good oral and written skills
- 3+ years of production experience in video games, film or VFX
- Animation experience is a major plus
- Experience in C# or C++
- Experience with OpenMaya and Maya plugin development
- Experience with motion capture pipeline
- Experience with Machine Learning and data analysis
As part of the Naughty Dog application process, candidates should expect to be given a technical interview and may be asked to complete an animation test.