Co-Dev Architecture Lead Engineer (client) - Star Wars IP
NaturalMotion’s Action Strategy Group (ASG) is a BAFTA-nominated team developing an exciting new Star Wars™ game, running live operations on Dawn of Titans, and developing a third unannounced game, all from our London studio.
We are a tight-knit team, with a sociable culture and a strong team identity whilst being able to experience all the benefits that come from being part of NaturalMotion and Zynga. The team crafts world-leading, mid-core games on a foundation of trust and camaraderie.
In 2018 & 2019, NaturalMotion Studios were named one of the Best Places to Work in the UK games industry by gamesindustry.biz.
We are looking for a Lead Engineer, at senior or principal level, to oversee the engineering efforts completed by our co-dev partners. This role will suit someone who excels at cooperatively architecting and reviewing work for multiple engineering teams. Someone who embraces the opportunity to proactively organise teams to solve complex engineering challenges and who will contribute ideas and solutions of their own. We have small and agile teams, so you will thrive working in these environments as we grow.
Key Roles & Responsibilities
- You will overview the architecture of the code developed by our co-dev partners
- You will directly assist our Technical Director to ensure the technical visions for our projects are followed
- You will work with the other engineering leads to determine tasks and systems to be outsourced to co-dev engineers
- You will also be taking on engineering tasks of your own as required by the project
- You will review code from our co-dev teams, looking for well-designed, adaptable, and testable code, suitable for long-term use
- You will mentor other members of our engineering team, growing the cooperative working relationship we have with our co-dev partners
- Collaborating with multiple disciplines, as well as our co-dev partners, you will find technical solutions and approaches catering to each project’s particular needs
- You will help to improve the code team’s knowledge and experience through sharing your experience
Required Experience & Skills
- You have developed and released multiple games in Unreal and C++
- You have worked extensively with co-dev engineering teams and/or remote teams
- Having taken titles from pre-production to release, you have experience of every step involved in getting a game shipped
- Experience architecting systems through the lifecycle of large game development
- You are comfortable understanding and debugging unfamiliar code in a large project
- You have worked with other disciplines to architect and implement features and systems
- You are familiar with design patterns, memory/performance optimisation, reviewing code, and knowledge sharing
Desirable Experience & Skills
- Do you have experience working on strategy and action games?
- Have you shipped one or more mobile titles?
- Have you shipped titles across multiple-platforms?
- Are you familiar with the particular challenges of developing and running a live game?
What Do We Offer?
- Competitive salary, discretionary annual bonus scheme and Zynga stock allowance
- Contributory pension scheme
- 25 days holiday, plus public holidays and Christmas shutdown
- Private medical care and healthcare cash plan
- Life insurance and critical illness insurance
- Discounted gym membership and free weekly yoga class
- Flexible working hours
- Free fruit, snacks & soft drinks provided daily, as well as free lunch on Fridays
- Annual season ticket loan and cycle to work scheme
- Summer and Christmas parties and Happy Hour every Friday
NaturalMotion is an equal opportunity employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, pregnancy, marital status or veteran status.