(Closed) Service Engineer
Core Services Engineering builds and manages the critical products and services that Microsoft runs on. We boldly pursue big ideas that power transformational advances at Microsoft and for our customers, while helping Microsoft teams work smarter, faster and more securely every day. Core Services Engineering employees have deep technical and business expertise, customer insights, and a clear point of view that comes from first-hand, large-scale experience with Microsoft and industry solutions. We are engineers, technology leaders and experts, digital transformation change agents, and customer advocates. We have exciting opportunities for you to innovate, influence, transform, inspire and grow within our organization and we encourage you to apply to learn more!
Our Retail technology team is a multi-channel organization, which showcases Microsoft technology by transforming the Windows PC, Software, Gaming and Mobile device buying experience. We are responsible for the agile delivery of innovative, multi-channel solutions for the Microsoft Retail Stores including our Online and physical Brick and Mortar locations. The Microsoft Store has continued to be at the center of the company’s consumer efforts and debuts our latest technologies such as Surface and HoloLens.
We are seeking a highly motivated Service Engineer to join our growing team. This role is responsible for designing, implementing, and operating Retail Platform services, such as Bare Metal Imaging and App Deploy, for our Microsoft Stores. Our Engineers build, deploy, and operate services that enable applications and digital experiences to meet compliance, maximum uptime, and optimum performance across retail scenarios such as eSports. Day-to-day you will work with solution engineers and other engineering teams within Microsoft to deliver engaging experiences to our customers through the Microsoft Stores.
Core Fundamental aspects of the position:
- Provide leadership and collaboration within a team to develop retail infrastructure solutions leveraging core Microsoft products
- Scope, design and deploy solutions that scale to meet requirements and are easily supportable.
- Define and execute security solution testing and new release certification.
- Define and track key performance metrics to meet service availability requirements.
- Develop, deploy, test, and support infrastructure automation using Python and PowerShell and revision of key engineering artifacts such as standards and deployment guides.
- Lead definition of capacity planning, optimization, service health via monitoring within assigned service areas Monitor and troubleshoot network incidents to meet operation level agreements.
- Perform Direct Responsible Individual (DRI) for end-to-end service support.
- On-call rotation with team members providing high severity incident support as needed, 24x7.
- 1+ years of experience developing retail infrastructure solutions related to Point of Sale, Customer Experiences and back office productivity solutions
- BS degree in Computer Science or equivalent work experience with preferred Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer Cloud (MCSE Cloud)
- 2+ years’ experience building customer desktops and server solutions with specialized hardware components
- 2 years’ experience building automation for Azure/Cloud services including Runbooks & Orchestration for Windows and Linux systems
- Demonstrated experience designing and troubleshooting of infrastructure solutions.
- 2+ years’ experience with Microsoft imaging services and PKI and NDES along with client enrollment options, and DHCP, Active Directory, Group Policy Management, and Virtualization in both private and public clouds
- 2+ years’ experience with Microsoft Azure Monitor (OMS) or System Center Operations Manager (SCCM)
- Experience in designing and implementing fault tolerant, highly available solutions for the above platforms
- 2+ years managing service and product lifecycles from inception to decommission activities
- 2+ years’ experience developing deployment and change automation using PowerShell and Azure Runbooks
- Soft Skills:
- Strong leadership experience in delivering retail solutions.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong team player who enjoys a mix of autonomy and collaboration-based delivery.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities, commitments and projects.
- Ability to influence, lead, and drive consensus on multiple technical views.
- Self-motivated, directed and passionate.
- Ability to learn very quickly in a fast-paced environment
- 3+ years of infrastructure and service engineering
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
Benefits and Perks
- Industry leading healthcare
- Savings and investments
- Giving programs
- Educational resources
- Maternity and paternity leave
- Opportunities to network and connect
- Discounts on products and services
- Generous time away