Lead Rendering Engineer - World's Edge
At Xbox Game Studios, we are hard at work continuing the great legacy of Age of Empires, our beloved RTS game. We are a passionate group responsible for this amazing franchise and are expanding our team looking for a wonderful colleague that will be responsible for ensuring we are delivering visually stunning experiences.
Wanted! Lead Rendering Software Engineer.
Must have a strong background in AAA computer game graphics and leadership experience with graphics engine programming. We’re looking for someone with strong communication skills and a self-driven approach to work, capable both directing external teams and jumping in and coding when needed. The ideal candidate understands first party development, enjoys collaborating with internal and external partners, and has a track record for delivering high quality software. A qualified applicant must have led graphics engine development, strong 3D math background, and experience with graphics technologies such as D3D. The candidate should also have experience with multiple lighting models, dynamic lights and lighting and modern graphics APIs such as DirectX 12.
- Have a deep understanding of where the future of video game rendering is going and be able to direct our partners to build engines that will be cutting edge not just today, but in the future when our titles come to market.
- Work in close partnership with internal and external teams of diverse and talented peers of various disciplines to create visually stunning experiences
- Participate in GPU/CPU performance reviews and provide optimization guidance
- Participate in cross-group work streams to research and develop new technology and processes.
- Collaborate closely with PMs, designers, artists, and central technology teams to prototype and/or implement new product features
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, related degree, or equivalent work experience
- 8+ years professional development experience in C/C++ with an emphasis in computer graphics
- Strong understanding of computer graphics principles, techniques, and tools
- Experience with some or all of the following: GPU, DirectX, shaders, HLSL, D3D, OpenGL, Vulkan
- Passion for games and technology
- Hands on experience shipping multiple titles
- Strong creative problem solving and algorithm development skills
- Self-motivated and comfortable working in a fast paced environment
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to travel both domestically and internationally
- Experience optimizing both GPU and CPU sides of a rendering engine.
- Advanced degree in Computer Science or related field
- Experience working with external partners
- Demonstrated experience with modern game engines such as Unity, Unreal, or equivalent
- Experience writing performance critical code or SIMD optimizations
- Real Time Strategy game development experience
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
Benefits and Perks
- Industry leading healthcare
- Savings and investments
- Giving programs
- Educational resources
- Maternity and paternity leave
- Opportunities to network and connect
- Discounts on products and services
- Generous time away