Art Outsource Manager
Tonic Games Group brings together a family of world-class developers and publishers who believe that games are for everyone. More than 300 people strong; we bring together Mediatonic, Fortitude Games and The Irregular Corporation to create original IP and to invest in independent game developers globally.
Mediatonic is one of the UK’s largest independent games developers which delights in connecting people through original, mass-multiplayer game experiences and breaking the mould with weird and wonderful games across every platform.
We continue to build on our ambitions and projects, as such we are looking to hire an Art Outsource Manager to join our team.
As an Art Outsource Manager you are responsible for over-seeing the smooth-running all the outsource requirements from Mediatonic’s Art team. Typically, this will be weighted in favour of 3D models and Animation but may encompass all aspects of game artwork. Where the required assets do not fall into your natural skillset, you will work with the relevant disciplines internally to ensure you have the support needed to service those areas in terms of briefing and feedback.
The Art Outsource Manager role is somewhat unique, for several reasons:
- It may require working across multiple projects at the same time, requiring the Art Outsource Manager to have a strong sense of prioritisation and self-management.
- During periods where outsourcing is not active, you will revert to your natural skillset to provide hands-on support in creating Art assets directly for use in-game. This will rely on having a thorough and up-to-date knowledge of the tools and pipelines needed to create world class assets for games across all platforms, as demonstrated in a high-quality portfolio.
- The cross-project nature of this role will mean you need to have an excellent grasp of the technical nuances and production requirements required for each product. This will mean working across a wide range of software and communication channels.
In your role you will foster good working practices with the teams at Mediatonic and external service providers, and will be the linchpin in this respect, being responsible for raising any risks, issues or opportunities as you find them.
- You will be supported by a team of world-class Artists and Art Leads who will provide Art Direction and benchmark models to ensure you are able to communicate the game’s artistic style and visual quality. In turn, your knowledge of the inherent challenges of outsourcing artwork will mean you will provide input into this process, contributing to documentation, ensuring benchmark assets are fit for purpose and often creating documentation yourself.
- Alongside your responsibilities to the Art team, you will assist the Production Team/Leads in creating achievable schedules for outsource assets. Where issues with delivery occur (e.g. when delivery deadlines are threatened or quality becomes an issue) then you will work with Production and Art leadership to formulate plans to mitigate against the issues and work through the issues with the outsource vendor to ensure delivery of the required assets.
- Your attention to detail, as well as your written and verbal communication skills are exemplary, allowing you to successfully communicate with our teams internally and service providers worldwide.
- Industry experience at multiple game/entertainment studios.
- Strong knowledge of the outsource market with a network of established relationships.
- Previous experience evaluating and determing outsource vendors, and reviewing art tests.
- Experienced in reviewing outsourced art assets and ensuring assets are suitable for game implementation.
- Experienced artist in your own right. Capable of delivering artwork to high standards for use in-game.
- Comfortable creating artwork in a range of styles.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
Are you interested in joining a business who strive to create moments that matter, for millions of players, in games that run for years? Does the idea of working together with a friendly team of Tonics towards the common goal appeal to you?
As a creative business, we recognise that creativity is best inspired by different experiences and perspectives and we strive to create a culture of belonging, where all our colleagues feel welcome and diversity is celebrated. As we push towards ever more ambitious and high quality titles, we are looking for the finest talent in the industry to come and join us on our quest.
We not only offer you the chance to work with fantastic teams, on awesome and inspiring projects, we also offer competitive salaries, flexible working hours including up to 3 x remote days weekly and private healthcare.
How to apply & really impress us
As a people first company, our biggest priority is to hire the right person. A cover letter that tells us a bit about you and what you’re passionate about really helps to get our attention and distinguish your application from the crowd. Successful applications will usually have a phone chat before being invited to a full interview. If you are applying for a creative role, remember a portfolio is essential. For all applications we suggest you read the job description carefully and let us know why you believe you’re the right person to take on this job. We look forward to hearing from you.
We receive heaploads of applications, and while we do our best to respond, we can't always guarantee this.