Lead Network Programmer
Media Molecule is a video game development studio based in Guildford in the UK, and a proud member of the PlayStation Worldwide Studios. We are the creators of the multi-award winning games LittleBigPlanet, LittleBigPlanet 2, Tearaway, Tearaway Unfolded and we're currently building the next generation of Play, Create and Share for PlayStation 4: Dreams.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Media Molecule as we look to further push the creative boundaries of gaming and we are passionate about making games with creative gameplay. Our studio is fast paced, dynamic, collaborative and is undergoing a period of significant growth and evolution!
Location: Our studio in Guildford or remote (able to work within the same timezone as the UK via video conferencing due to the need for close real-time collaboration).
Role: We are looking for an enthusiastic, creative individual to join our studio and help us to build real-time networked systems. We hope to find someone who will be eager to work with Designers and Programmers to implement key game features from conception to live deployment.
What you'll be doing:
- You will work closely with production to manage the day-to-day work of the Network programming team.
- You will ensure that system designs are clearly established and communicated to relevant stakeholders.
- You will proactively solve problems, working in collaboration with other discipline leads.
- You will ensure that technical initiatives across the Network team are aligned with the studio’s technical strategy.
- You will be accountable for ensuring the technical quality and timely cadence of the Network team’s releases.
- You will work closely with designers to realise creative objectives.
- You will oversee the Network programming team and provide mentoring.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Able to manage people, tasks allocation and multiple stakeholders to deliver scheduled product goals.
- Good C and C++ skills with the ability to write readable/maintainable code.
- Good debugging and analytical skills.
- Able to effectively communicate technical designs, specifications and risks to non-technical team members.
- Able to take an idea from a high level concept through to implementation.
- Able to collaborate with a wide range of disciplines to critique the quality of your own work.
- Self-motivated and able to adapt effectively to new challenges as they arise.
- Experience of leading small teams of programmers to successfully complete projects to agreed deadlines.
- Professional experience as a network programmer.
- You are able to work effectively with production teams to analyse and address development needs.
- You are able to work independently and are capable of delivering team results with limited supervision.
- Deep understanding of game networking models and the pros and cons of each.
- An advanced understanding of server architecture and networking protocols used for real-time online games at scale alongside an associated knowledge of network and server security.
- Familiarity with hardware details of multiple game platforms, their associated capabilities and performance bottlenecks.
- Experience with load testing and simulation.
- Experience debugging and rectifying code in a multithreaded environment.
- You have experience developing and refactoring code in a live service environment.
- Experience with AWS, Docker, and Kubernetes.
- Previous line management experience.
- An interest in UGC games.
- Experience leading teams working in a remote capacity.
Equal Opportunity Statement: Media Molecule is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category. We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity.
This is a permanent position.
Before you apply
People of all backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives are encouraged to apply. Media Molecule is committed to creating an inclusive and safe work environment that reflects the diversity of the world around us. We are an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age or disability status.
Tips for getting hired!
Words are not enough! We need to see what you make: a portfolio, showreel, demo…send us a curated selection of your work that shows just the pieces you’re most proud of. Don’t be afraid to show us your personal work alongside your professional projects… just make sure we have your best creations to look at. We’re certainly excited to see portfolios made in Dreams as well.
Be yourself. We are a studio that encourages our team think creatively, to play with new technology and jam on individual ideas. We love seeing the personality of everyone at Media Molecule reflected in Dreams and so it’s YOU and YOUR STYLE that we are interested in learning about.
Embrace collaboration. Dreams is a very collaborative project and Media Molecule loves a game jam, so we need team members that can work well together – sometimes across departments that don’t traditionally overlap. Maybe you already work on a team, or manage a guild or play in a band – we’d love to hear how you get on collaborating with others.
Go for it. Media Molecule is filled with people with all sorts of previous experiences – straight from university, from jobs outside the industry, from AAA studios and indie ones, etc. We are after people who fit the roles we are hiring for not a specific number of years in the industry. Some roles benefit from certain experience, of course, but otherwise we are very open. We make creative games, and creativity is something we all enjoy. If you are interested then please apply – and don’t forget that portfolio!
What you get
On top of all the things we already mentioned, you’ll also get to be part of a talented, diverse team of people, get a tip top benefits package, including private health and life insurance, income protection and all that jazz, a competitive salary, a winning bonus scheme, a personal development fund, being a name and not a number, free lunches, organic fruit, and really comfy chairs. Our main studio is based in Guildford, and we now also have a small office in Brighton.
If the all of those job requirements seem to be describing you, and you like the sound of working at Media Molecule, then you should apply at once!