Games User Researcher
PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognised as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Sony Interactive Entertainment, PlayStation Studios is looking for a user researcher to join its growing internal user research department. This position will be within Media Molecule, the studio behind titles such as Dreams, Little Big Planet, and Tearaway. This is an exceptional opportunity to help the team create world class games by providing reliable & actionable feedback on game experience via rigorous research with consumers.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Media Molecule as we look to further push the creative boundaries of gaming. Our studio is fast paced, dynamic, collaborative and is undergoing a period of significant growth and evolution.
What you’ll be doing:
- Collaborate with game developers to effectively fit high impact user feedback into their development processes
- Plan and design research activities that support the development of the games
- Carry out research activities including moderating tests, observing users, analysing findings and writing reports
- Work within the studio to promote user centred design across all areas of game development
- Work with more senior team members to evangelise user research internally
- Utilise a range of live research techniques to support the growth of the game
- Work with analytics and marketing to understand player experience
What we are looking for:
- You will have a studied HCI, Interaction Design or a related discipline such as Cognitive Psychology to degree level including practical experience of moderating tests with users.
- A masters level degree or higher would be preferable.
- A passionate interest video games and applying research techniques to gaming is essential.
- Previous commercial experience of usability testing is essential.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills; presenting information concisely and effectively to people at all levels of the organization.
- Good negotiation and influencing skills and be able to work well with cross-functional teams – e.g. game designers, producers, engineers and artists.
- Good organisation skills with the ability to prioritise tasks effectively in a fast-paced environment.
- An excellent attention to detail and a strong commitment to quality, both in terms of your own work & in improving product quality through testing.
- A commitment to reliability, with a clear understanding & communication of the limitations of the research results.
- A good grounding in HCI and usability methods and excellent analytical ability; able to identify the key problems which need to be addressed.
- Ability to be open-minded and forward thinking and actively maintain an interest in the field; keeping up-to-date with developing tools, techniques and gaming testing methodologies.
- An understanding of a live service product & the role of user research to support continued development is an advantage but not essential.
- Discretionary bonus opportunity
- Private Medical Insurance
- Dental Scheme
- London Allowance (if applicable)
- 25 days holiday per year
- On Site Gym
- Subsidised Café
- Free soft drinks
- On site bar
- Access to cycle garage and showers
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.