Tools Game Engineer
Tools Game Engineer (Temporary - 1 year), remote work is okay!
Welcome to Maxis, home to tinkerers, craftspeople, and storytellers. Our drive is to inspire everyone to make a better world through creative play. As the developer of the Sims, we create games and experiences for millions of people around the world and are always looking for new ways to inspire our players. Maxis is a place where you can do what you love and help others grow while doing it; a place where your unique voice can be heard and seen. We put creativity and inclusivity at the core of our work and don't settle for seeing the world only as it is, but aim to build a world as it could be. Read on to see how you can join our team and dream big.
Maxis is looking for an accomplished engineer that can help us bring the next wave of simulation features to life. This engineer will work with an experienced team that has collectively built almost all Maxis games in the past two decades. You will work with multiple designers and engineers prototyping and shipping different features that expand the gameplay possibilities of Sims games. Most of the work will be done in C#, with the front-end being developed in WPF.
Reporting to a Development Director, as a Tools Engineer, you will:
- Create tools that help create and manipulate a very large number of game tuning and assets that assemble to create rich player facing features.
- Implement developer facing editors that provide high impact visualization to manipulate game tuning and assets e.g. state machine editor, behavior tree editor, expression editor in C# and WPF.
- Work with the other game engineers and designers to implement a data-driven simulation system to author player facing behaviors in Unreal and C++.
- Author technical design documents detailing software requirements.
Please note that you do not need to qualify for all requirements to be considered. We encourage you to apply if you can meet most of the requirements and are comfortable opening a dialog to be considered.
- Bachelor/Master's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related field or equivalent work experience
- 5+ years experience in a hands-on development role.
- 3+ years experience building complex tools in C# and WPF.
- Demonstrate technical abilities with large projects implemented in C# and C++.
- Experience building tools with a medium to large customer base.
- Experience building and shipping AAA games in Unreal Engine.
- Previous engineering experience managing major systems in code bases.
- Experience and willingness to create multiple short-lived prototypes.
- Experience developing for large-scale live products. Products that always update to provide higher quality, and feature set to expand the possibilities in the game.
- Experience building features and tools for games (or applications) that support a collaborative User Generated Content community.
- Experience working in collaborative environments with diverse roles beyond engineering like design, production, art and product management.
- Experience optimizing performance and memory for applications that manipulate large amounts of information/files.
- Experience with Windows platform and development tools.
- Experience with performance/memory optimization of C# desktop applications.
- Experience building tools and plugins for Unreal or Unity Engines.
- Experience showcasing customer improvements in tools development.
- Experience with building games, tools, or plugins for Unity engine.
- Experience developing for PC, console and Mobile platform games.
- Demonstrate experience working in large data-driven games or applications.
- Experience using static and performance analysis tools, automated testing, unit testing, and configuration management processes
About EA At Electronic Arts, we exist to Inspire the World to Play. We create extraordinary new game experiences for our millions of players everywhere by bringing together talented people that combine creativity, innovation, and passion. We know that our strength lies in the diversity of our people. We immerse our employees into an inclusive culture, and provide opportunities for learning and leading that allow them to do the most impactful and rewarding work of their careers. We put our people first. We provide comprehensive benefit packages with a focus on health and wellbeing to support your needs and help you balance your career and personal life. We provide access to dynamic and collaborative work environments, opportunities to connect and contribute through our Employee Resource Groups, and support for a balanced life with paid time off and new parent leave, plus free video games and so much more! Electronic Arts is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Electronic Arts also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.