Software Engineer Intern (Summer 2022)
At Maxis, we excel at outrageous thinking. It’s the fuel that inspires the best games in the world. We’re trailblazers and great storytellers. But it’s not just about amazing your peers – it’s about amazing yourself and our fans. Take risks. Work with dazzling minds and dare to dream big. Together, we can change the way millions play every day. The Sims 4 has an extremely unique player base, with 60% of our audience being women between the ages of 18-24. We are looking for someone with deep insights on how to create the best experience for our players.
- You will use Python, C++ and ActionScript 3 to implement data-driven gameplay and UI systems.
- You will create new Sim behaviors: interaction with the world, other Sims, and objects.
- You will build creative aspects of real life within a simulation game (e.g. socialization, careers, weather).
- You will work with designers, producers, artists, and other engineers on improving the data-driven framework that brings designs to life.
- You will write technical design documents detailing software requirements.
- You will build unique content for a game that supports a large demographic of simulation player patterns.
- You will write code with performance and memory usage in mind.
- You will effectively problem solve under iteratively changing requirements during development.
- Excellent technical problem-solving skills under iteratively changing requirements during development.
- Collaborate with manager, mentor and technical leaders in the team to continue building unique content for a game that delivers to a large demographic of simulation playing patterns.
- You are currently enrolled in a Bachelor’s or Master’s program and are slated to graduate after May 2023
- Experience with Windows platform and development tools (Visual Studio, Eclipse, etc.)
- Excellent game systems programming skills.
- Demonstrate technical abilities with projects implemented in at least one of these languages C++, C#, Java, Python.
- Learn new technologies needed to complete the task deliverables.
- Experience in using automated testing, unit testing, configuration management process and static and performance analysis tools.
- Applicants must be legally authorized to work in the US on a fulltime basis during the 12-week internship. Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
Not all of these are required as a whole. We look forward to having a match on one or two of the following attributes.
- 1-2 year experience in a hands on development role in an engineering team.
- Familiarity with popular game engines like Unity and/or Unreal. Hobby games created using the engine either alone or in a team setting.
- Familiarity with cloud software services (e.g. Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, and Google Cloud Platform).
- Passion for play and creating games as an agent for change for the diverse Sims community. Passion for implementing player first experiences.
At Electronic Arts, we exist to Inspire the World to Play. We create extraordinary new game experiences for our millions of players everywhere by bringing together talented people that combine creativity, innovation, and passion. We know that our strength lies in the diversity of our people. We immerse our employees into an inclusive culture, and provide opportunities for learning and leading that allow them to do the most impactful and rewarding work of their careers. We put our people first. We provide comprehensive benefit packages with a focus on health and wellbeing to support your needs and help you balance your career and personal life. We provide access to dynamic and collaborative work environments, opportunities to connect and contribute through our Employee Resource Groups, and support for a balanced life with paid time off and new parent leave, plus free video games and so much more! Electronic Arts is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Electronic Arts also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.