Senior Quest Designer [Avatar Project]
We’re embarking on an amazing journey, together with Lightstorm Entertainment and FoxNext Games, to the world of Pandora, developing a new cutting-edge game set on the beautiful and dangerous moon from the prominent Avatar film franchise.
As a Senior Quest (Narrative) Designer at Massive you'll have one foot in narrative and the other in design, you’ll bridge the gap between systems, UX, and are ultimately responsible for the player’s interaction with our story.
Working with a diverse Narrative team and in collaboration with multidisciplinary game designers, you’ll be responsible for the holistic design of narrative systems, pipelines for content, and the practical implementation of the story.
This is a permanent position based in Malmö, Sweden, and requires working onsite. We kindly ask you to apply with your CV and message to the hiring manager/cover letter in English. Applications will be reviewed whilst the job-ad is posted.
- Designing, writing and implementing narrative gameplay content
- Collaborating with the Mission Director, Lead Writer, your Narrative colleagues, and both Game & Level Designers to develop innovative quests that flow with the overall game
- Crafting narrative structure, creating and maintaining scripts/scenes for controlling various game elements
- Identifying blockers to your design ideas and communicating with the appropriate teams to see if they're possible to implement (New Gameplay, AI, Cameras, Audio, Text, Objectives etc.)
- Constantly evaluating the accessibility, ease of understanding, and level of difficulty for your designs
- Participating in the development of tools and technology to improve the narrative workflow
- Mentoring junior narrative designers
You’re a combination of storyteller and designer, perhaps stronger in one but comfortable with both. You’ve a passion for interactive storytelling and an excellent understanding of the English language.
Besides the above we’re looking for someone aligned with our core values and the following skills and experience:
- A relevant portfolio of your work/content is highly valued
- Several years of Narrative/Quest Design from the video game industry
(Ideally, you have more than 5-years' experience)
- Previous experience from multiple AAA productions through release
(Ideally you have credits on at least 2 Titles)
- Experience with non-linear narrative structures
- Understanding of the technical constraints regarding narrative design implementation, on current-gen consoles, PC, and therefore, the ability to accurately predict task duration and understand dependencies
- Ideally, you have experience with multiple Game Engines (i.e. Snowdrop, Unity or Unreal) and scripting language systems
Good to know
We aim to build a team that continuously pushes the boundaries of what’s possible in game development, and because we love to learn and grow from the people around us, we might ask you to complete a practical test as a part of the recruitment process.
We look forward to receiving your application and learning more about you. Meanwhile, please check out the videos posted below, our portfolio tips, and our employee perks here, to gain greater insight into life at Massive.