Senior Environment Artist [Avatar Project]
As part of the Avatar Project, you will play an instrumental role in bringing to life the beautiful and dangerous world of Pandora. This is a unique opportunity to keep growing your experience in games while working hand in hand with Disney’s creative minds and James Cameron's production company, Lightstorm Entertainment.
As a Senior Environment (Level) Artist at Massive, you'll get the chance to use your artistic eye to create gameplay spaces that not only play well but look visually stunning too. Utilizing the power of our in-house game engine – Snowdrop, you'll collaborate with fellow Artists, Tech Art, and Level Designers to create unique AAA game worlds. You'll distribute and prop 3D assets throughout the game for great composition and readability.
This is a permanent position based in Malmö, Sweden and requires working onsite. We kindly ask you to apply with your CV and message to the hiring manager / cover letter in English. Applications will be reviewed whilst the job-ad is posted.
- Environmental storytelling through set dressing
- Build 3D scenes for environments based on concept art and reference imagery
- Collaborate with the Level Design Team to maintain gameplay requirements and Tech Art to maintain performance requirements
- Maintain quality, efficiency and consistency across your work
You as a person
You push what environment art can mean to a game through creative initiatives. You’re not afraid to take responsibility and ownership for whatever's needed within the team, to make the game better. Your openness and flexibility complements this and enables you to provide insights from all parts of the development into your area of expertise, which makes you a valuable source of ideas and suggestions.
Besides the above we’re looking for someone aligned with our core values and the following skills and experience:
- A relevant portfolio of artwork (must include Level/Environment Art and ideally, examples with a fluid/organic nature – remembering Pandora, "It's kinda the Garden of Eden with teeth and claws" James Cameron)
- Proven experience working in the games industry with at least one AAA title to your name
- Deep understanding of art fundamentals and design (including an understanding of composition, color theory and lighting)
- Great technical knowledge of 3D packages, texturing packages and game engines like Unity/Unreal
- Solid understanding of the workflows required to create an asset from the Blockout stage to final quality, and optimization for real-time rendering
Good to know
As we aim to build a team who continuously push the boundaries of what’s possible within game development and because we love to learn and grow from the people around us, we might ask you to complete a practical test as a part of the recruitment process. We look forward to receiving your application and learning more about you. Meanwhile, please check-out at the videos posted below.