Online Programmer [Scalar]
Do you want to be part of creating systems which will enable players to share unique experiences in our games? We are now looking for an Online Programmer to join our expanding Online team.
Ubisoft Scalar takes the components and systems of traditional game engines and transforms them into microservices in the cloud – moving from the closed, single processor systems of today to a distributed model across a potentially unlimited number of machines.
Cloud tech has levelled the playing field for online games, and our vision is to go above and beyond to create amazing online experiences. Your focus as an Online Programmer will be on bleeding edge online tech, and you will work on iterations primarily in C++, but with the opportunity to explore what Rust and Go can bring to the table.
As we work in cross-functional teams within the project, you will be interacting with people from many other disciplines and follow agile methodologies to move your work forward.
This is a permanent position based in Malmö Sweden, with the opportunity to work partially from home according to our Flexible Workplace Policy. Please apply in English (our company language), and we’ll check your application asap!
What you’ll do
- Identify and define technical solutions for bleeding edge online features
- Write clean, maintainable, portable code with the goal of bringing the best online experience to our players
- Ensure that new features and systems meet high performance requirements and match the project’s C++ code style
- Document your work to share knowledge on how to use the new systems and functionalities
- Contribute to planning sessions and code reviews with your peers
- Work together with other international Ubisoft studios
About Production Technology at Ubisoft
At Ubisoft, there are no limits to creativity. Innovation comes from every corner and our game teams are constantly pushing the boundaries of technology to transform ideas into fantastical worlds. To bolster their efforts, Ubisoft’s Production Technology department is a transversal group that unites more than 400 experts across the company around a mission to develop the best tools and technologies that enable our studios to bring their visions to life. From designing our proprietary game engines and state-of-the-art middleware solutions used by our worldwide developer community, to leveraging the latest machine learning breakthroughs in R&D, Production Technology team members don’t just help Ubisoft creators make games: they work together to pioneer innovations that change the way games are made.
What you’ll bring
You have a genuine interest in creating scalable online systems that can benefit millions of players. We believe you take pride in code crafting and that you are motivated by bleeding-edge technology. You are comfortable with working in an international environment, have good communication skills in English, and are aligned with our core values. We would also like to see that you have the following skills and experiences:
- Professional experience of working with modern C++, including package management, refactoring, optimization, debugging and testing.
- Experience in profiling and low-level optimizations
- Strong interest within cloud technology (such as Google Cloud Platform, AWS, Azure)
- Interest in DevOps, focused on automation and containerization
Massive Entertainment is a world-leading AAA studio located in Malmö Sweden and is part of the Ubisoft family. We’re a multinational team of more than 750 passionate and highly skilled people from 50+ different countries. Our studio’s goal has always been – and still is – to craft the finest gaming experiences for all players.
At Massive, you get to do what you love most while bringing your own experience to our ongoing projects, like Tom Clancy’s The Division 2, Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora, and The Star Wars Project. We're also developing new tech here, such as our in-house engine Snowdrop, and Ubisoft Connect - Ubisoft's digital ecosystem and distribution platform.
All your application information will be kept confidential according to EEO & GDPR guidelines.