Narrative Designer [Star Wars Project]
We’re collaborating with Disney and Lucasfilm Games on a new story-driven open-world video game set in the beloved Star Wars galaxy. This is a lore we love and want to do justice with a game and story that bring both new and lifelong fans on an immersive and outstanding journey that will stay with them for years.
As a Narrative Designer at Massive, you’ll play an instrumental role in bringing the project to life. You'll have one foot in the narrative/writing and the other in level design. Ultimately your challenge will be the player’s interaction with our story. Working with a diverse Narrative team and in collaboration with multidisciplinary developers, you’ll also be responsible for the holistic design of narrative systems, content pipelines, and practical implementation.
This is a permanent position based in Malmö, Sweden, and requires working onsite. We kindly ask you to apply with your CV and message to the hiring manager/cover letter in English. Applications will be reviewed whilst the job-ad is posted.
- Designing, writing and implementing narrative gameplay content;
- Collaborating with the Narrative Director, Lead Writer, your Narrative colleagues, Audio (VO), and both Game & Level Designers to develop innovative missions/quests that flow with the overall game vision;
- Crafting narrative structure, creating and maintaining scripts/scenes for controlling various game elements;
- Identifying blockers to your design ideas and communicating with the appropriate teams to see if they're possible to implement (New Gameplay, AI, Cameras, Audio, Text, Objectives etc.);
- Constantly evaluating the accessibility, ease of understanding, and level of difficulty for your designs;
- Participating in the development of tools and technology to improve the narrative workflow;
- Mentoring junior narrative designers;
You’re a combination of storyteller and designer but you're also technically competent with implementation and ideally, visual scripting. You've shipped one or more major/AAA Game projects with a strong story focus, and you managed to overcome all the challenges that came with this. You're ready to utilize your new-found knowledge and experience, applying it to our unique challenge within the Star Wars IP. As a Senior you're also fond of helping mentor your colleagues. You have a passion for interactive storytelling and an excellent understanding of the English language (our company language).
Besides the above we’re looking for someone aligned with our core values and the following skills and experience:
- A relevant portfolio of your work/content is required (ideally a showreel);
- Several years of Narrative/Quest Design experience from within the video game industry;
(Ideally you have credits on several major titles)
- Previous experience with multiple AAA productions from concept through to post-launch;
- Experience with linear & non-linear narrative structures;
- Understanding of the technical constraints regarding narrative design implementation, on current-gen consoles & PC;
- Ideally, you have experience with Game Engines (i.e. Snowdrop, Unity or Unreal) and scripting language systems.
Longing to be part of a fun, creative and passionate workplace? We can offer you this and more in an open and friendly environment where you will work with some of the best craftsmen in the industry. Are you up for it? Come aboard for the ride!
Massive Entertainment is a premier producer of games and interactive entertainment for the global market. The studio is located in Malmö, Sweden and fully owned by Ubisoft, the world’s third largest independent video game publisher. We are more than 650 people from 45+ different countries working together to produce major titles such as World in Conflict, Far Cry 3, Tom Clancy’s The Division and our latest Avatar Project.
We value diversity at Massive, promote a family-friendly culture and a gender-balanced work environment, where equal opportunities play a meaningful role in the day-to-day operations of our studio.
Ubisoft is committed to enriching players’ lives with original & memorable entertainment experiences. We build worlds that are a playground for the imagination, offering moments of surprise, fun and adventure as well as opportunities for learning and self-discovery.
At Ubisoft, you’ll grow and collaborate with highly talented teams from around the world. Our massively friendly work environment will inspire you to go above and beyond to create experiences and brands people will fall in love with.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.