VFX Artist (Multiple Locations)
This role is available in the following locations: Las Vegas, NV / Denver, CO / Austin, TX / Toronto, ON / Portland, OR
Machine Zone (An AppLovin Company) is a global leader in mobile gaming, with a track record of delivering some of the world’s most successful mobile games including Game of War, Mobile Strike and Final Fantasy XV: A New Empire. We combine the power of technology and creative vision to create experiences that connect people from all corners of the globe. Machine Zone was acquired by AppLovin in May 2020.
AppLovin is a Certified Great Place to Work, one of Inc.’s Best Workplaces and a recipient of the 2019 Glassdoor Top CEO employee’s choice award. The San Francisco Business Times and Silicon Valley Business Journal awarded AppLovin one of the Bay Area’s Best Places to Work in 2019, 2020 and 2021, and the Workplace Wellness Award in 2019 which recognizes businesses that are leaders in improving worker well-being.
At MZ, we build massive mobile games that break down linguistic and geographic barriers by uniting an unprecedented number of global players in one gaming world. We empower our game developers to push the boundaries of innovation in a player-driven ecosystem. Untethered by the traditional publisher model, and backed by endless resources, every update and feature creates amazing experiences for millions of players.
MZ is seeking a VFX Artist with amazing artistic skills whose primary job responsibility is to create spectacular real-time visual effects (both stylized and realistic) using our proprietary game engine.
MZ offers a fun, creative, and technically challenging environment with excellent compensation and a full range of benefits.
What You'll Be Doing
- Create the in-game FX systems to create a wide range of VFX (magic, explosions, fire, ice, etc.)
- Use FX for proper game play communication
- Work with the Art Director to establish and drive the art vision of the game
- Participate in planning and milestone delivery for the FX
- Participate in establishing and maintaining the highest visual quality bar overall for the game
- Ensure the FX meet the performance and memory requirements of the game engine
Your Background And Who You Are
- 5-8 years as an artist, specifically 3-4 years creating real-time special FX for games
- Expert in creating eye catching real-time FX using Maya, Adobe suite, and in-game FX systems
- Capable with both hand painted and rendered texturing skills
- Solid grasp of the principals of animation and lighting
- Proficiency with 3D graphics, particle systems, physics and shaders
- Ability to generate top-notch art and design in a variety of styles and a portfolio of work demonstrating the same
- Knowledge of rendering engines and experience designing VFX shaders
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Shipped multiple AAA products as a Lead Artist
- Very strong technical art background in FX, with a focus on shader writing
- Strong technical art background with VFX problem solving and creative shader authoring
- Expertise with Industry tools for RTVFX such as Popcorn, Unity, and Unreal
- Experience authoring rendered VFX in packages such as the Adobe Suite, Maya/Max and Houdini
AppLovin is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.