Sr. Software Engineer, Server
Machine Zone (An AppLovin Company) is a global leader in mobile gaming, with a track record of delivering some of the world’s most successful mobile games including Game of War, Mobile Strike and Final Fantasy XV: A New Empire. We combine the power of technology and creative vision to create experiences that connect people from all corners of the globe. Machine Zone was acquired by AppLovin in May 2020.
AppLovin is one of Inc.’s Best Workplaces and a recipient of the 2019 Glassdoor Top CEO employee’s choice award. The San Francisco Business Times awarded AppLovin one of the Bay Area’s Best Places to Work in 2019 and 2020, and the Workplace Wellness Award in 2019 which recognizes businesses that are leaders in improving worker well-being.
AppLovin’s MZ Game Studio seeks a senior software engineer to help build the server technology that underpins our next generation of games. As a member of the server engineering team, you will develop new technologies that allow us to richly support cloud-hosted, worldwide multiplayer games, building new services and improving what exists today. SQL and NoSQL, kubernetes and traditional metal, in-memory cache and even more in-memory cache: you will employ all of these to make great games happen. Server engineers at MZ work closely with other teams up and down the stack, from site reliability engineering and technical operations, to the game product developers who deliver the experience to the users.
What you’ll be doing:
- Design the architecture of new services to deliver timely communication from server to client and server to server, while still functioning alongside existing server components
- Describe and implement the communications across multiple network layers, considering performance, reliability, and flexibility with respect to the underlying infrastructure
- Enhance and expand the ORM layer of MZ’s in house web framework
- Craft software solutions for supporting flexibility in resource allocation, from compute to storage
- Serve as a technical leader for projects of year-long scope involving multiple contributors and customers
- Consult with technical operations on appropriate Kubernetes-based infrastructure design
- Design for performance, and measure the effects
- Review your colleagues’ code, and learn from their reviews as well
- Identify, document, and communicate best practices for the engineers who use the fruits of your labor
Your background and who you are:
- 7+ years professional work experience
- BS or MS degree in Computer Science or a related technical field
- Must be proactive, self-directed, detailed and organized
- Proficient in PHP, C++, or Go
- Knowledge of relational databases and SQL, preferably MySQL
- Experience with in-memory NoSQL databases, such as Redis
- Ability to debug issues within custom code quickly
- Passion for developing scalable and maintainable software systems
- An open-minded and technology-agnostic approach to engineering
- Passion for performance debugging and benchmarking
- Real world experience developing distributed systems
AppLovin is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.