(Closed) Assistant Professor, Virtual Production & Immersive Media
The School of Art at Louisiana State University seeks a full-time, tenure-track Assistant Professor in the area of Virtual Production and Immersive Media to begin in the academic year 2022-2023 in partnership with the Digital Media Arts & Engineering and School of Theater's Film & TV BFA program. Successful applicants may also be considered for a joint appointment between units. The school is seeking an innovative and dedicated practitioner and educator, with demonstrable skills related to traditional / virtual production and immersive media. Expertise is desired in areas such as real-time graphics, game engines, VFX, extended reality, digital art, and digital filmmaking. Candidates with clear evidence of potential for excellence in teaching, research, and service are encouraged to apply.
Responsibilities include teaching, advising, and working with undergraduate and graduate students. Candidate will sustain an active portfolio in virtual production/immersive media and/or related practices; serving the School, College, and University on committees; and in other capacities. Responsibilities will include, helping to develop a state-of-the-art XR studio that will house a large LED volume, motion capture stage, 3D scanning, filmmaking, and green screen equipment. Candidate will be instrumental in the creation of new courses and curricula related to virtual production, digital art, VFX, digital filmmaking, and emerging entertainment technologies. Candidate will also maintain a commitment to ensuring a healthy, inclusive, and collaborative environment for those involved. The successful candidate will be invited to collaborate with existing faculty and students in the Digital Media Arts & Engineering, Digital Art, Film & TV, Screen Arts, Music, and Computer Science departments.
- Master's or terminal degree and commensurate experience/practice in a field relevant to digital art, filmmaking, or virtual production.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job.
- Experienced professional practitioners who do not possess the terminal degree are still encouraged to apply.
An ideal candidate may have multiple experiences related to virtual production and immersive media such as VR/AR, extended reality, digital art, filmmaking, digital cinema camera systems, VFX, video games, or other forms of creative and emerging technology. Candidate is desired to have:
- On-set production experience or the capacity to quickly understand key elements of the virtual production pipeline including LED walls, motion capture systems, video game engines, 3D scanning, DMX lighting, green screen compositing, and how they relate to filmmaking workflows.
- An established research agenda or the ability to define and execute one in an area relevant to virtual production and immersive media.
- Prior experience educating within the field of filmmaking or digital media.
- Currently has — or has potential to — publish, exhibit, or distribute creative works in a relevant field.
- Prior experience producing original creative work such as films, games, electronic artwork, digital art, new media art, or creative software either independently or as a part of a team.
- Experience using both traditional and new digital filmmaking tools such as lights, cameras, lenses, audio equipment, wireless technologies, and accompanying software.
To receive full consideration, please provide the following: (1) a letter of application (cover memo) with a narrative description of your background, interests and qualifications for the position (3-page maximum). Describe courses you are qualified to teach and/or classes you have taught in the past, your research interests and scholarly activities, and relevant practice experience. Submissions must also include: (2) a curriculum vita; (3) the names, addresses, telephone numbers, and e-mail addresses of three references; and (4) links to or examples of at least 3 scholarly/creative works. A copy of your transcript(s) may be attached to your application; however, original transcripts are required prior to hire. Please attach ALL documents in a single PDF under the Resume/CV section of your application.
Application review will begin immediately, and will continue until a candidate is selected. The position will remain open until filled.