(Closed) Associate Head Coach of Esports and Success Coach
The Success Coach will be a student’s point of contact for everything at the University--from academic advisement to getting involved on campus to financial aid counseling to career development--helping the student to chart and navigate an individual path as part of the LIU family. A coach will work with a student one-on-one to create a success plan tailored to his/her needs, goals and interests, helping students to choose courses; select a major; find scholarships, internships and study abroad opportunities and launch their careers. Success Coaches will keep students on track toward graduation and enable them to make a seamless transition from college student to successful professional. Reporting to an Associate Director, the Coach will also serve as the Associate Head Coach and Lead for the LIU Brooklyn campus Esports program.
- Serve as primary advisor and success coach for working caseload of students
- Prepare students for their transition to the college, and integrate new students into the intellectual, cultural, and social life of the University
- Support the student experience through the LIU four-year model from pre-enrollment through graduation
- Assist in pre-enrollment, admissions, orientation, campus, and career activities reinforcing the importance of a collective, integrated college experience geared toward academic and career success
- Plan and execute campus programming, including campus activities, student success, and life planning seminars, to enhance student life, enjoyment, and effectiveness
- Provide leadership to an ancillary responsibility within academic, career, and/or student life.
- Provide academic advisement to each student, specifically through the progression of the initial registration upon acceptance to major/degree selection as it pertains to career interests and pursuits
- Interpret career assessment instruments and provide career resources/advisement, developing a timely career track congruent with students’ academic pursuits
- Review financial aid information and assist students with understanding financial aid procedures
- Coordinate with affiliate departments to achieve program recruitment and retention goals
- Complete weekly and monthly reports that demonstrate progress towards retention, student registration, and other key job performance indicators
- Other duties as assigned by Associate Directors and Directors of LIU Promise
Success Coach Area Specializations: ESPORTS
- Enstruct, teach and coach student-athletes during practice and competition.
- Identify, evaluate and recruit potential team members from current and new student populations.
- Manage the facilities, operation, and staffing of the Esports Arena
- Providing input on design of Esports facility and selection of equipment, as well as maintaining of same.
- Coordinating off-season, practice, and competition schedules
- Assisting with team travel when necessary
- Ensuring team compliance with all league, conference, and institutional rules and regulations
- Continuously ensuring personal behavior and program reputation are in alignment with Long Island University values and brand.
- Ensures ongoing eligibility of student athletes in the Esports program and monitors their academic program.
- Ensures that eSports meets annual program size number.
- Works with the SID to provide accurate data for individual and team accomplishments, as well as game scores.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s preferred.
Training, Skills, Knowledge, Experience:
- At least 1-3 years of progressively professional experience in higher education, student affairs; sound judgment and decision-making skills.
- At least one year competitive eSports experience involving multiplayer online video games with team-based elements and expert knowledge of League of Legends, Overwatch, Hearthstone, or similar games.
- Coaching or teaching experience preferred.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- High energy and enthusiasm to work with students and propel them toward success
- Ability to design and implement innovative programs with a strong attention to detail
- Interpersonal communication skills
- Computer skills/literacy
- Flexible hours, including weekends and evenings, are required to execute the position’s role responsibly.
- Occasional travel to/from other LIU campuses for the facilitation of trainings, meetings and other university functions.