Level Ex is a fast-growing game studio that creates video games for doctors.
Our games feature thrilling medical cases built with the highest standards of game design and deliberate game mechanics. They also employ state-of-the-art graphics and physics technology, supported by the latest generation tech, allowing us to craft breathtaking virtual anatomy: custom-built GPU-based fluids, tissues, and soft-body systems that look and react like the real deal.
We attract top artists, engineers, designers, and others from prominent gaming franchises, like Mortal Kombat, League of Legends, Call of Duty, Walking Dead, and Star Wars. Our caliber of talent keeps us in the forefront of the industry: GDC ranked our game design talk #2 of 194 for sponsored sessions in 2019, and we earned 2nd place at SIGGRAPH Real-Time Live! 2019, sharing the stage with Epic, Unity, Digital Domain, and others. Meet some of our incredible team here, and learn why you’ll enjoy our company and culture - Video: Why Join Level Ex?
We’re now looking for an experienced Level Designer to join our team. You’ll be working on our newest product, Virtual Technique Guides™ (VTGs), a collaborative surgical training platform that applies the multiplayer interactivity of cloud gaming to enable surgeons to perform virtual procedures with medical device sales representatives over the same web conferencing platform. Proven to facilitate knowledge transfer and improve skill, Virtual Technique Guides allow surgeons, sales representatives, and trainers to step into a virtual operating room to synchronously learn and reciprocate tasks between each other without having to be in the same physical space.
What You’ll Be Doing with Us
- Working within our VTG platform to define the player’s gameplay experience through a set of existing mechanics and interactions
- Working closely with artists and engineers to build out levels in the Unity game engine
- Collaborating with our medical team, doctors, and medical researchers on technical specifications, plus finding ways to incorporate their feedback as part of compelling and exciting gameplay mechanics
- Working with other designers and leadership to identify in-editor tools and workflow improvements to make the creation of levels more efficient
- Actively seek feedback to improve your own work while also providing guidance and feedback to peers
- Supporting the Lead Designer in completing any other required tasks and duties
Who We Want To Meet
- Minimum of 3+ years of professional, hands-on game design experience
- Significant in-engine Unity3D and/or Unreal Engine 4 experience
- One or more commercially released games on mobile, PC, or console platforms
- Deep design pipeline/asset optimization skills and experience
- A self-starter, must be motivated and willing to work without a lot of supervision
- Proven ability to document and communicate design ideas, and make smart tradeoffs
- A positive attitude, excellent work ethic, and the ability to thrive in a highly collaborative team environment
Bonus Points For
- Understanding of the psychology of game design, and experience applying those principles in new kinds of design and game mechanics
- C# experience, or visual scripting using Bolt
- Experience with Instructional Design processes and methodologies
- Familiarity with medical and anatomy concepts
How We Make You Happy
- Multiple health insurance plans with 100% company-paid premiums
- 401(k) with generous company-paid match
- 4 weeks of PTO
- 100% full-time remote until we return to our convenient, downtown Loop location
- Dental and vision insurance
- Pre-tax flex spending and commuter accounts
- Unlimited cold brew and gourmet coffee, kombucha, Bevi sparkling water, and craft beer (when back in the office)
- Full kitchen and food options including breakfast, and both healthy and comfort snacks (when back in the office)
- Team after-hours events, like Board Game Night
Please send us your resume along with an optional cover letter detailing why you’re an excellent fit using the links below. We look forward to hearing from you and exploring the possibilities.
Level Ex is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).
No Agency or Recruiter submissions will be accepted.
Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job.