(Closed) ESports Head Coach/Manager
The ESports Head Coach will be responsible for developing and launching the varsity ESports program for Lakeland University, as well as recruiting student athletes for the program, and coaching and devising strategy for the team. The ESports Coach will also provide key input into the selection of games and tournaments in which the team will participate.
POSITION'S DEPARTMENT RESPONSIBILITIES:
The ESports program is expected to recruit student-athletes that can be successful academically, socially and athletically at Lakeland University, meeting a minimum roster size of 18 unique student-athletes each year; instruct and prepare the student-athletes for NACE competition; schedule and coach intercollegiate matches and tournaments; counsel the student-athletes on academic, athletic and social issues; coordinate a team community service program; provide a connection point for outreach to the campus, and Lakeland community.
POSITION'S ESSENTIAL DUTIES:
- Instruct, teach and coach student-athletes during practice and competition.
- Conduct video analysis and instruction as a teaching and preparation tool.
- Plans practice and/or competition strategy.
- Identify, evaluate and recruit potential team members to LU ESport Muskies, recording transactions in Slate or similar university provided recruiting software.
- Retain current LU students as team members
- Ensures that program meets annual team size number (currently 18)
- Ensures program recruiting activities adhere to Lakeland University and NACE Policies and Procedures
- Ensures ongoing eligibility of student athletes in the ESports program and monitors their academic program. Targets include a 3.00 team GPA and a 90 percent graduation rate for student-athletes that exhaust eligibility at Lakeland University.
- Conducts inventories of uniforms, supplies and equipment to ensure effective maintenance of physical resources.
- Effectively uses fiscal resources to coordinate any team travel and recruiting.
- Serves as the primary spokesperson for the program in the community, leading at least two team community service projects annually and participating in at least one addition project personally.
- Represents the University at any conference, regional, state and or national meetings relating specifically to ESports.
- Works with the SID to provide accurate data for individual and team accomplishments, as well as game scores.
Other Duties: (5%):
- Provides reports and documentation when required by the Vice President for Campus Life
- Other duties as assigned by the Vice President for Campus Life
GENERAL EXPECTATIONS: All Lakeland employees are expected to:
- Demonstrate in their words and actions an appreciation for the history of Lakeland University and a commitment to its stated mission;
- Represent unequivocally in their behavior the stated values of the University;
- Be good stewards of the University's resources, including its personnel and the goodwill of its friends, its alumni, and local community;
- Work collaboratively (as opposed to competitively) with their peers to meet objectives and achieve our goals;
- Keep their supervisor appropriately informed;
- Be forthright and honest in their communication with all members of the university community;
- Treat all members in a manner of teamwork and respect;
- Acts in a manner that sets the standard for service in higher education and the core principals of Lakelanders Excelling at Professionalism (LEAP) show respect, communicate and be positive;
- Advise their supervisor with respect to all matters that require their attention, including their own performance.
- Recruiting and retaining students for the ESports program
- Conducting coaching and instruction activities during training, practice and competition
- Providing guidance and input on games selected for varsity competition
- Providing input on design of ESports facility and selection of equipment, as well as maintaining of same.
- Coordinating off-season, practice, and competition schedules
- Assisting with team travel when necessary
- Running ESports camps, clinics, and fund raising events
- Pursuing sponsorship opportunities within the ESports business world.
- Ensuring team compliance with all league, conference, and institutional rules and regulations (NACE)
- Continuously ensuring personal behavior and program reputation are in alignment with Lakeland University values and brand
SPECIALIZED KNOW-HOW & SKILLS
- Bachelor's Degree required.
- At least one year competitive ESports experience involving multiplayer online video games with team-based elements and expert knowledge of League of Legends, Overwatch, Hearthstone, or similar games.
- Coaching or teaching experience preferred.
- Experience recruiting high school or college students preferred.
- Ability to envision and drive growth for the university's ESports program.
- Self-motivated, with the ability to resolve issues independently.
- Strong relationship-building skills.
- Effective written and oral communication skills, including public speaking.
- Affinity with the overall mission of Lakeland University
- Ability to work with a diverse community of students, faculty, administrators and professional colleagues.
- A valid driver's license and ability to travel are required.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
- No or very limited exposure to physical risk;
- Ability to work flexible schedules, including evenings and weekends is required. Significant travel is required for recruiting, as well as with the team for tournaments.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Full tuition remission for candidate, spouse, and dependents.
- Two-week's vacation upon hire.
- Two-weeks paid sick time.
- 12 paid holidays.
- Health, dental, and vision insurance.
- Life Insurance.
- 403(b) retirement savings plan
Lakeland University does not offer H-1B or other work authorization visa sponsorship for this position. Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States at the time of hire and maintain work authorization throughout the employment term. If you have questions regarding this, please contact Human Resources.
Lakeland University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Educator