Junior Games Artist
Kwalee is one of the world’s leading multiplatform game publishers, with well over 600 million downloads worldwide for mobile hits such as Draw It, Teacher Simulator, Let’s Be Cops 3D and Makeover Studio 3D. Alongside this, we also have a growing PC and console team of incredible pedigree that is on the hunt for great new titles to join TENS! and Eternal Hope.
With a team of talented people collaborating daily between our studios in Leamington Spa, Bangalore and Beijing, or on a remote basis from Turkey, Brazil, the Philippines and many more, we have a truly global team making games for a global audience. And it’s paying off: Kwalee games have been downloaded in every country on earth! If you think you’re a good fit for one of our remote vacancies, we want to hear from you wherever you are based.
Founded in 2011 by David Darling CBE, a key architect of the UK games industry who previously co-founded and led Codemasters for many years, our team also includes legends such as Andrew Graham (creator of Micro Machines series) and Jason Falcus (programmer of classics including NBA Jam) alongside a growing and diverse team of global gaming experts. Everyone contributes creatively to Kwalee’s success, with all employees eligible to pitch their own game ideas on Creative Wednesdays, and we’re proud to have built our success on this inclusive principle. Could your idea be the next global hit?
As a Games Artist you’re creative, enthusiastic and have a passion for games and all the art that you can create in them.
What you will be doing
- Taking responsibility for the art on multiple small mobile game projects
- Creating 2D/3D art assets and integrating them in Unity
- Participating in art reviews and being receptive to feedback and art direction
- Troubleshooting any art issues from a creative and technical standpoint.
How you will be doing this
- You'll be part of an agile and creative team and work closely with them to ensure the best results.
- You'll think creatively and be motivated by challenges and constantly striving for the best.
- You'll work with cutting edge technology, if you need software or hardware to get the job done efficiently, you can get it. We even have a robot!
Our talented team is our signature. We have a highly creative atmosphere with more than 150 staff where you’ll have the opportunity to contribute daily to important decisions. You’ll work within an extremely experienced, passionate and diverse team, including David Darling and the creator of the Micro Machines video games.
Skills and requirements
- Solid understanding of art and design fundamentals
- Good all rounder - ability to create game ready art assets in 2D as well as 3D, and can demonstrate it in a portfolio of work.
- A creative ‘indie’ mindset - you have the ability to quickly learn new tools and techniques and a willingness to dip your toes into a number of disciplines (UI/VFX/Animation etc)
- Excellent knowledge of Unity
- Ability to rapidly prototype ideas and aren’t too concerned about AAA polish.
- You’re a team player with a desire to help juniors and teach them the tricks of the trade
- An interest in mobile games - in particular hyper-casual.
- Experience with development processes such as GIT and Management Tools
- We want everyone involved in our games to share our success, that’s why we have a generous team profit sharing scheme from day 1 of employment
- In addition to a competitive salary we also offer private medical cover and life assurance
- Creative Wednesdays! (Design and make your own games every Wednesday)
- 20 days of paid holidays plus bank holidays
- Great work-life balance with flexible working hours
- Quarterly team building days - work hard, play hard!
- Monthly employee awards
- Free snacks, fruit and drinks
We firmly believe in creativity and innovation and that a fundamental requirement for a successful and happy company is having the right mix of individuals. With the right people in the right environment anything and everything is possible.
If you are suitable for this role, please include with your application sketching / drawing examples either within your portfolio or as separate links